Brookhaven Innovation Academy
Brookhaven Innovation Academy is a public charter school authorized by the Georgia Charter Schools Commission, which opened as a K-6 school in August, 2016. The school will grow a grade a year until enrollment reaches 540 in grades K-8. BIA uses a carefully crafted combination of research based instructional methods including Project Based Learning, Personalized Learning and computer coding for every student. Teachers have expertise in ensuring engaging and rigorous learning that prepares students for success in the complex, global 21st century world.
Classroom teachers are responsible for providing research-based instruction aligned with the Georgia Performance Standards and Georgia Standards of Excellence. Teachers will integrate a variety of research-based and innovative resources and strategies to support instruction.
Teachers will focus on literacy and math as critical foundations, and create interdisciplinary learning opportunities while fostering 21st century skills in students.
Teachers work as a team member within the classroom, across the grade level team, and vertically with other grade levels. Teams of teachers will have the opportunity to plan together, attend professional development together, and perfect their craft as educators.
Teachers will administer a variety of assessments to monitor student progress, create open lines of communication with parents and/or guardians, and plan instruction.
Effective classroom instruction:
- Teach Mathematics to a diverse middle school student population using a personalized and project based learning approach.
- Provide instruction and coaching for students as they move towards proficiency in the 21st century skills of communication, collaboration, creativity and critical thinking. such as collaboration, problem solving, critical thinking and communication.
- Prepare materials and classrooms for instructional activities.
- Adapt teaching methods and instructional materials to meet students’ varying needs and interests.
- Employ a variety of diagnostic, formative, and summative assessment strategies and instruments including the NWEA MAP assessments.
- Systematically gather, analyze, and use relevant data to measure student progress, to inform instructional content and delivery methods, and to provide timely and constructive feedback to both students & parents.
- Utilize the Haiku Learning Management System and Standards Based Grading to make lessons, projects and grading transparent to students and parents.
- Utilize technology platforms and resources adopted by Brookhaven Innovation Academy.
- Creative a positive classroom climate and support a school culture that celebrates diversity, innovation, and caring.
Personal professional growth:
- Reflect on teaching practices and seeking appropriate help and support from the leadership team and colleagues.
- Work with colleagues in a Professional Learning Community in order to improve student achievement by sharing assessment data and planning.
- Support paraprofessionals, practicum students, and any other team members in their professional growth especially with regards to supporting all members of the team to deliver high-quality instruction through Blended learning and Project Based Learning.
- Mentor new or established teachers as needed.
Work with family stakeholders:
- Proactively communicate with and seek input from family and/or guardians.
- Involve community stakeholders in learning experiences for students, when appropriate. Other duties as assigned by Head of School.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education from an accredited university
- Demonstrated ability to develop lesson plans, implement instructional strategies and ensure students at all ability levels to achieve learning goals
- GA Certification in Mathematics Middle Grade Education or equivalent concentration
How to Apply
To apply, please e-mail letter of interest and resume to Dr. Laurie Kimbrel, Head of School at email@example.com.