Brookhaven Innovation Academy
Brookhaven Innovation Academy is a public charter school authorized by the Georgia Charter Schools Commission, which opened as a K-6 school in August, 2016. The school will grow a grade a year until enrollment reaches 540 in grades K-8. BIA uses a carefully crafted combination of research based instructional methods including Project Based Learning, Personalized Learning and computer coding for every student. Teachers have expertise in ensuring engaging and rigorous learning that prepares students for success in the complex, global 21st century world.
Special Education teachers are responsible for both co-teaching in regular education settings and case management for special education students. Special Education teachers manage all aspects of the IEP process including the facilitation of IEP meetings and parent communication.
Teachers work as a team member within the classroom, across the grade level team, and vertically with other grade levels. Teams of teachers will have the opportunity to plan together, attend professional development together, and perfect their craft as educators.
- Provide direct and indirect instructional support to students in a positive environment.
- Employ special educational strategies and techniques during instruction to improve the development of sensory- and perceptual-motor skills, language, cognition, and memory.
- Instruct students in academic subjects using a variety of techniques such as phonetics, multi-sensory learning, and repetition to reinforce learning and to meet students’ varying needs and interests.
- Teach socially acceptable behavior, as determined by the students’ individualized education programs (IEPs) by employing techniques in an overall positive behavioral support system.
- Modify the general education curriculum for students with disabilities based upon a variety of instructional techniques and technologies.
- Plan and conduct activities for a balanced program of instruction, demonstration, and work time that provides students with opportunities to observe, question, and investigate.
- Establish and enforce rules for behavior and procedures for maintaining an environment conducive to learning for all students.
- Meet with parents to discuss their children’s progress and to determine priorities for their children and their individualized educational needs.
- Confer with parents, administrators, testing specialists, social workers, and other professionals to develop individualized education programs (IEPs) designed to promote students’ educational, physical, and social/emotional development.
- Maintain accurate and complete student records and prepare reports on children and activities, as required by laws, district policies, and administrative regulations.
- Develop plans for effective communication, monitoring, and follow-up of students in inclusive classroom settings.
- Provide crisis intervention, as needed, for students.
- Assist in collection of data for providing appropriate classroom interventions.
- Plan and facilitate IEP meetings.
- Assist in preparation of data for local, state, and federal reports.
- Maintain professional competence by participating in staff development activities, curriculum development meetings, and other professional opportunities.
- Other duties as assigned by Head of School.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education from an accredited university
- Demonstrated ability to effective provide case management for special education students.
- GA Certification in Special Education or equivalent concentration
How to Apply
All applications must be submitted through Brookhaven Innovation Academy’s on-line application system available at www.biaschool.org.