Tapestry Public Charter School, Atlanta, GA
Tapestry Public Charter School seeks innovative, passionate, and energetic teachers to join our team for the 2017-2018 academic year.
The mission of Tapestry is to offer an inclusive, individualized learning environment that is academically engaging, both for neurotypical students and those on the autism spectrum, and to create a positive school culture that empowers all students to take possession of their innate talents and become creative builders of their own future.
Utilizing small, multi-age classrooms with flexible groupings and authentic hands-on learning experiences, Tapestry offers a student-driven, experiential, sensory-based learning environment. All students are respected, loved, and valued as the most important members of the school community. More about Tapestry may be found at tapestrycharter.org.
Tapestry seeks teachers for the following positions:
Special Education Teacher (grades 6-8)
Special Education Teacher (grades 9-11)
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree and a Highly Qualified Certification in General Curriculum Special Education required; Highly Qualified in one or more Special Education Academic Content Areas (Math, Science, Social Studies and ELA) preferred
- Experience working with students on the autism spectrum
- Experience writing and implementing IEPs
- Positive, inclusive, and welcoming attitude
- Enthusiastic, creative, flexible approach to teaching
- Ability to differentiate methodology to accommodate learning differences
- Sound classroom management skills
- Team player: ability to collaborate well with other members of the school community
- Excellent written, oral communication, and listening skills
- Successful co-teaching experience
- Familiarity with Universal Design for Learning, Constructivism in teaching and learning, Response to Intervention (RTI), and Social Emotional Engagement – Knowledge and Skills (SEE-KS)
- Relevant experience working in a middle and/or high school
- Relevant experience working in a charter school
- Experience working with students with various learning disabilities, cognitive profiles, sensory dysfunctions, behavior disorders, speech and language impairments, gross and fine motor difficulty, and medical conditions
- Ability to develop and adapt curriculum and present lessons in various subject areas to students with disabilities
- Demonstrated effectiveness in working with diverse groups of students, teachers, service providers and families
- Knowledge of the Common Core Georgia Performance Standards
- Support the mission of Tapestry Public Charter School
- Collaborate and plan with general education teachers in order to conduct co-taught and/or resource educational activities in a constructivist environment
- Modify and differentiate the general education curriculum for students with disabilities, based upon a variety of instructional techniques and assistive technologies
- Maintain excellent lines of communication with families
- Confer with parents, students, and colleagues to develop individual educational plans designed to promote the student’s educational, physical, and social development, ensuring that IEPs are in accordance with state, federal, and any other applicable guidelines, regulations, and/or laws
- Collate and maintain accurate and complete student records. Maintain student work samples and collect data toward student goals and schedule meeting with parents, guardians, and teachers to discuss these records
- Administer informal and formal assessments, providing students with individual testing accommodations
- Seek to empower students with disabilities to become self-advocates
- Engage in continuous professional development and shared learning with other professional staff
- Lead an advisory cohort of students
- Regularly attend faculty meetings, work flexible hours, and perform other duties as necessary (willingness to “wear many hats”)
- Work collaboratively with the entire Tapestry stakeholder community to advance the goals of the school
Compensation: Salary based on Tapestry’s teacher pay scale; certified special education teachers who carry an IEP caseload receive an annual salary supplement of $6000; full benefits package.
How to Apply
NOTE: To apply for this position, interested candidates should send (1) a cover letter summarizing interest, skills, and qualifications; (2) a resume or curriculum vitae; (3) the names, addresses, email addresses, and telephone numbers of at least three professional references; and (4) a philosophy of education statement to Barbara Boone, Principal, at email@example.com. Applications without all four requirements will be considered incomplete.
- Application Deadline: Open until filled
- Tapestry Public Charter School is an equal opportunity employer committed to building a diverse staff and encourages applications from persons of all backgrounds.
- Before hire, applicants must satisfy a background investigation including a criminal background check.