State Charter Schools Commission of Georgia
The State Charter Schools Commission of Georgia has an Associate General Counsel opening. See the job listing below or click here to visit the SCSC’s website.
Job Title: Associate General Counsel
Post Date: 10/2/2020
Apply by: Until filled
Job Code: LEP023
Location: 504 Twin Towers West, Atlanta, Georgia 30334
Program/Unit: State Charter Schools Commission
Description of Duties: Under limited supervision, provides legal advice to the agency on an array of education-related matters, government operations, and general legal issues; manages all SCSC contracts and procurement; manages and responds to Open Records requests as the agency’s records officer, and conducts reviews of charter petitions for legal compliance and substantive quality. Additional responsibilities include:
- Counseling the agency in legal matters;
- Developing agency rules and guidance and counseling state charter schools on implementation and application;
- Serving as primary support and management for state charter schools that have been closed or nonrenewed;
- Manages the agency’s complaint process;
- Conducts annual onsite visits to state charter schools to monitor and determine the operational compliance of schools; and
- Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications: Completion of a law degree AND License to practice law in the State of Georgia OR Eligibility to sit for the next Georgia Bar examination OR Reciprocity AND Three years of relevant legal experience.
Preferred Qualifications: Preference will be given to applicants who, in addition to meeting the minimum qualifications, have the following experience or credentials:
- Experience working within an organization focused on academic achievement;
- Demonstrated experience in education policy and with charter school initiatives;
- Thorough understanding of P-20 education reform efforts, especially those of Georgia;
- Experience working with LEA charter school oversight, especially state charter schools in Georgia.
Salary/Benefits: Pay Grade N—Annual salary range $52,331.12 (minimum) to $91,579.45 (maximum). Hiring salary is commensurate with current employment, relevant education/training and work experience, and available funding. Benefit options include life, disability, dental and health insurance, annual/sick leave, and Employees’ Retirement or Teachers’ Retirement.
Application Process and Materials: Consideration/interviews will begin as soon as a list of applicants is established. Applications/resumes will be evaluated and only those meeting the qualifications will be considered. Top candidates will be contacted for interviews. No notification will be sent to applicants except those who are selected for interviews. Due to the large volume of applications received by this office, we are unable to provide information on your application status.
It is the policy of the Georgia Department of Education not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, national origin, disability, or age in its employment practices. In accordance with Public Law 99-603, also known as the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, the Department of Education employs only U.S. citizens and lawfully authorized alien workers. All persons hired by the Georgia Department of Education are required to verify identity and employment eligibility and must agree to undergo drug screening and a criminal background investigation.
Please submit a resume or curriculum vitae, a cover letter explaining your interest, two (2) writing samples not to exceed 10 pages and contact information for three professional references to Darcy Callaway at firstname.lastname@example.org. Interviews will be held on a rolling basis.