Utopian Academy for the Arts
Utopian Academy for the Arts is an independent public charter school network serving elementary and middle school children and families throughout Clayton County, GA. The Utopian Academy for the Arts Elementary School was approved by the Clayton County Public Schools System and will operate as a locally-approved charter school. The rationale for the enrollment plan for Utopian Academy for the Arts is to provide a significant educational benefit of having gender-based classroom environments, and classes in the fine, dramatic, and media arts for students in Clayton County, GA. Since its inception, The Utopian Academy for the Arts has operated as a middle school, but in 2020 we will expand to include elementary education as well. The elementary school, which will initially just offer kindergarten and first grade, will serve 125 students in its first year and will occupy existing space on Utopian’s campus.
The Role: The Business Services Coordinator is responsible for maintaining all school financial and HR records, ensuring that all necessary instructional and administrative purchases are made in a timely fashion, reviewing invoices, receiving all goods, preparing check requests and performing basic accounts payable and receivable functions.
- Ensures compliance with financial accountability and documentation requirements of the charter authorizer and the state department of education;
- Manages the Business Office;
- Assists with monthly payroll reporting and processing;
- Performs Accounts Payable/ Receivable functions in the routine course of daily operations;
- Maintains accounting ledgers for general ledgers for school budgets, monitors budget balances and reports to staff with updates and researches charges as needed;
- Develops financial policy recommendations for the Board’s consideration and action with Governance issues;
- Files required reports with local, state and federal education agencies, Board of Directors;
- Oversees all human resources functions and activities including, but not limited to, staff on boarding and terminations, employee record keeping, managing employee insurance and retirement benefits program;
- Distributes and monitors building keys;
- Issue letters and do follow-up on all returned NSF checks within the district;
- Maintains filing claims for grants: Title Programs, IDEA, Nutrition, etc;
- Assists the CFO and Executive Director in the compilation of data and submission of financial reports to the GaDOE, CCPS, and all other agencies to which reports shall be submitted;
- Assists the CFO to provide the Board and Administration with monthly fiscal reports as requested;
- Maintain high standards of confidentiality, attendance, and flexibility, while working cooperatively with Supervisors and other employees;
- Any additional duties or responsibilities as assigned by the Executive Director.
- BA/BS Degree in Accounting or related field or graduate degree. Master’s Degree in Business with Finance or an Accounting background preferred.
- Experience with finances in a school or education setting preferred;
- Demonstrated organizational skills and proven ability to multi task;
- Experience with Facilities Management;
- Previous experience with multi million dollar budgets required;
- Demonstrated ability in data management and presentation;
- Prior experience requiring fiscal responsibility;
- Agreement with and commitment to the academic goals and philosophy of Utopian Academy for the Arts;
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as a team of one;
- Superior written and oral communications skills;
- Demonstrated communication skills- Model correct use of language, oral and written;
- Regular budget meetings and accurate communication when needed with school leadership, governing board and state officials;
- Experience working in an urban setting and Charter school experience, highly desirable.
How to Apply
Application and materials should be submitted electronically by the priority deadline of December 4, 2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org “Elementary School-Business Services Coordinator” should be labeled in the Subject Line of your message. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
- Completed Application for Employment including:
- Cover letter / letter of interest defining your strengths in your subject matter, including your experience with supporting a charter school, or arts integrated school. Please cite specific and measurable examples from your practice that make you a fit for our Business Services Coordinator position.