Savannah Classical Academy
The mission of the Savannah Classical Academy is to provide every child with a classical and academically rigorous education while instilling a commitment to civic virtue and moral character. The philosophy of Savannah Classical Academy is that all students benefit from a rigorous, content-rich, educational program that develops academic potential and personal character. The school provides an environment that fosters academic excellence through the habits of thoroughness, the willingness to work, and the perseverance to complete difficult tasks. Through a defined traditional, Classical-Liberal curriculum, students are prepared to become active, responsible members of their community. The school’s core virtues are compassion, perseverance, responsibility, respect, temperance, integrity, diligence, and courage.
The Director of Savannah Classical Academy is the top executive of the school, and who is responsible for visionary leadership and implementation of an engaging, joyful, and academically rigorous school built on our fundamentals of academic excellence, core virtues, and a classical education.
The Director and maintains a school culture that challenges and motivates our diverse students, teachers, and families to achieve academic excellence, develop as people, and positively impact the communities in which they live. The Director is the primary interface with Savannah Classical Academy’s Governing Board as well as the Savannah-Chatham County Public School System’s Board of Education and Superintendent’s Office on behalf of the school.
Articulates a vision and works collaboratively with staff, students, parents, and other stakeholders to develop and execute programs consistent with the school’s vision and mission.
- Provides leadership for the design and implementation of effective and efficient schedules that maximize instructional time.
- Monitors and evaluates the effectiveness of instructional programs to promote the achievement of academic standards.
- Works collaboratively with staff to identify needs and to design, revise, and monitor instruction to ensure effective delivery of the curriculum.
The leader promotes the success of all students by developing, advocating, and sustaining an academically rigorous, positive, and safe school climate for all stakeholders.
- Consistently models and collaboratively promotes high expectations, mutual respect, concern, and empathy for students, staff, parents, and community.
- Utilizes shared decision-making to build relationships with all stakeholders and maintain positive school morale.
Effectively manage and oversee human resource functions, including, but not limited to the selection, induction, support, and retention of quality instructional and support personnel. Fairly and consistently coaches and evaluates school personnel in accordance with state and district guidelines and provides them with timely and constructive feedback focused on improved student learning.
- Promotes self-improvement and adaptive leadership among the entire school.
- Recruits and hires mission aligned, qualified instructional and operational staff.
- Manages the staff performance review processes.
- Addresses staff concerns urgently and with mission-aligned, student-focused responses.
- Ensures on-going design and implementation of staff professional development.
Effectively communicate and collaborate with all stakeholders to ensure the success of all students.
- Ensures that all members of the school community are engaged and valued.
- Communicates the school’s vision and goals in a way that ensures understanding and commitment from a racially, culturally, and socioeconomically diverse community of parents, students, faculty, staff, and board members.
- Oversees the development and implementation of varied forms of communication with families.
- Maintains visibility and accessibility to students, parents, staff, and other stakeholders.
Operations, Finances, and Compliance
Effectively gathers, analyzes, and uses a variety of data to inform planning and decision-making consistent with established guidelines, policies, and procedures. Fosters the success of all students by supporting, managing, and overseeing the school’s organization, operation, and use of resources.
- Demonstrates and communicates an expert understanding of Georgia public education rules, regulations, and laws, and school district policies and procedures.
- Establishes and enforces rules and policies to ensure a safe, secure, efficient, and orderly facility and grounds.
- Reports on activities, organizational development progress, and student achievement to the school’s board and other stakeholders, as required.
- Works with finance staff and the school’s treasurer to draft and monitor the school’s budget.
- Collaboratively develops, implements, and monitors a school improvement plan that results in increased student learning that result in student achievement and school climate ratings.
- Plans and prepares a fiscally responsible budget to support the school’s mission and goals.
The Director must:
- Must be capable of managing many complex work streams with competing priorities.
- Possess strong leadership and team management skills.
- Possess exemplary interpersonal and communication skills.
- Be organized and self-managed, be able to handle many responsibilities simultaneously.
- Have excellent problem-solving skills.
- Be committed to building a community of collaboration with a diverse group of stakeholders.
- A self-aware leader who knows how to treat all members of the school’s community with respect, appraises accurately his or her strengths and weaknesses, and is perceptive about how he or she is regarded.
- Be dependable and have excellent follow-through.
- Be aligned with the education philosophy and the school’s mission.
- A strong personal commitment to ongoing learning and growth.
- Minimum of a Masters degree
- At least 3 years of successful administrative experience
- Eligible for valid professional Georgia Educator Certificate in the field of Educational Leadership.
The Savannah Classical Academy offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience, and a comprehensive benefits package. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and, as a school serving a diverse group of students, we work to reflect this diversity in our staff as well.
How to Apply
Applicants should send a resume and cover letter to Scott McGhie, Board Chairman, Savannah Classical Academy, at firstname.lastname@example.org.