D.E.L.T.A STEAM ACADEMY
D.E.L.T.A STEAM Academy is a new K-8 tuition-free public charter school serving students in Douglas County, South Fulton County, South Cobb County and Atlanta Public Schools. D.E.L.T.A stands for “Deliberate Excellence Leads To Achievement”. When our vision is fully realized, we will be the best in the country at producing the next generation of culturally conscious, critical and creative thinkers. Our instructional model is a full immersion STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math) project-based learning environment. Our art of choice is performing arts – focusing on dance, theater, music, and voice – infused throughout our curriculum.
We endeavor to prepare students to diversify STEM fields, where less than 9% of employees are of African American or Latino descent. As such, our students are taught daily through the engineering design process and intentionally focus on 21st century skills of collaboration and critical thinking. While learning to think deeply and creatively, students are also developing the character and habits of mind that will enable them to be not only academically successful but also socially and emotionally adept.
We will open the doors of our first campus in Lithia Springs in August of 2020. Come join us in making history!
The Founding Director of Curriculum and Instruction reports directly to the Principal and serves as one of the instructional experts on the administrative team. Primary responsibilities include development and implementation of quality rigorous curricula, teacher coaching and professional development, creating and maintaining a data-driven instructional culture, and creating a nurturing learning environment that supports student success. In practice, these responsibilities fall into five categories:
- Curriculum & Instruction: Train teachers in the engineering design process; lead teachers in unpacking curriculum and appropriately modifying and differentiating lesson plans to meet student needs; lead design and implementation of in-house curricula for Social Studies and Character Development; assist in the coordination of guest experts and field experiences; model instructional practices through facilitation of effective, differentiated professional development.
- Assessment: Along with our Director of Operations, create assessment schedules, lead testing cycles, and ensure access to data; conduct assessment training and analysis sessions; train teachers on using data to drive their instructional practices.
- Culture and Character: With the leadership team, create and consistently implement schoolwide values, discipline policies, and communication methods; support teachers in creating and implementing high expectations and a culture of learning; partner with leadership and teachers to implement family conferences and student exhibitions.
- Leadership: Working with the Principal, co-plan and co-facilitate Wednesday professional development sessions, summer institutes, and other professional development opportunities; serve as a member of the Academic Leadership Team; in the absence of the Principal, serve as school leader.
- Adaptability: All other duties as assigned by the Principal.
The Founding Director of Curriculum and Instruction is committed to the “Foundational Five”:
- Our core values – Excellence, Perseverance, Integrity, Culture, and Community – serve as the foundation for all decisions.
- Every child that enters our doors deserves a quality, rigorous education in a nurturing environment that provides access and opportunity for success in the college and/or career of their choice. We must be intentional in this daily provision.
- Teachers have the most important job in the building and therefore deserve supportive coaching and high-quality professional development that increases personal capacity and student achievement simultaneously.
- Teamwork makes the DREAM work.
- Founding a new school is rewarding, but hard work. You are prepared and committed to ensuring the success of our school.
- Bachelor’s Degree – required
- Master’s Degree – required
- At least one degree must be in an educational field, preferably curriculum and instruction
- Must have a valid Georgia teaching certificate or the equivalent in another state in elementary or middle grades education
- Administrative certificate preferred
- Demonstrated significant student achievement
- Demonstrated experience and success in teacher coaching/development
- Experience with EL Education (teaching or coaching)
- Experience creating and implementing curriculum
- Demonstrated success creating a data-driven instructional environment
- Demonstrated success working with Students of Color
- 5+ years of teaching experience in a K-12 setting, preferably grades K-8
- Highly Preferred:
- Minimum – 2 years of administrative experience in a K-12 setting
- Demonstrated cultural competence, specifically navigating lines of difference
- Preferred: Experience in a STEAM field
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & MINDSETS
- Unwavering commitment to the vision, mission, and values of D.E.L.T.A STEAM Academy
- Knowledge and understanding of the engineering design process
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc)
- Baseline knowledge of teacher looping and mastery learning
- Ability to access and utilize best practices for student learning
- Ability to access and utilize best practices for adult learning and development
- Ability to manage self and others
- Proactively identify challenges along with effective solutions
- Superb communication skills (oral and written)
- Ability to facilitate courageous conversations
- Ability to commit to 3-5 years of service in the role
- Entrepreneurial mindset
- Ability to adjust to rapidly changing environment
We offer a competitive salary that is commensurate with experience along with a full benefits package including medical, dental, vision, short-term disability, retirement plans, life insurance, and parental leave. A generous paid time off policy that includes a combination of vacation and personal/sick days is offered.
START DATE/TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
The start date for this position is January 2020. This is a 12-month position typically running July 1 to June 30 annually.
How to Apply
D.E.L.T.A STEAM Academy is committed to building a team that mirrors the community we serve and encourages applicants of all backgrounds to apply. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we hire without consideration of race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy/parenthood, veteran status, or disability.