Atlanta Smart Academy
The mission of Atlanta SMART Academy is to use science, math and the arts to build innovative solutionists. Solutionists are students who can propose multiple, research supported answers to a variety of real world questions.
The vision of Atlanta SMART Academy is a conduit from elementary to high school, college and career where students are equipped with the critical thinking skills to thrive in a constantly changing society. Atlanta SMART Academy is a state charter school opening in SW Atlanta in August 2020 with 5th and 6th grades then growing a grade level each year until serving grades 5-8.
The core values of creativity, collaboration, compassion and competence are built through the four-key innovations: project-based learning, extended time, arts instruction and an advanced science and math curriculum. Within a structured, restorative school community with an unwavering focus on high academic growth, all students will be prepared to succeed in high school, college and career.
Job Summary: The Director of Operations is a school-based leadership role that oversees all finance and operations functions necessary to run a high-performing school. This includes budgeting, purchasing, facilities, food services, transportation, technology, medical/health services, school safety, student recruitment, student data, regulatory compliance, human resource support, and academic operations support. The Director of Operations serves as a key member of the School Leadership Team, acts as the Principal’s right hand, ensuring that campus operations meet high standards of operational excellence, and enables instructional leaders and staff to focus on driving strong student achievement outcomes.
School Operations 30%
- Serves as the eyes and ears of the campus to ensure that all school operations run seamlessly each and every day, proactively problem solving and developing systems where needed
- In partnership with the Principal/Executive Director, implements the campus-wide operations vision that supports and operationalizes the academic and cultural vision of the schools
- Plays a leadership role in developing the schools strategic annual plan and budget, and facilitates campus wide operations planning
- Holds vendors accountable to goals and outcomes
- Serves as “admin on duty” in the absence of the Principal/Executive Director and during coverage of athletic events or other extracurricular activities
Finance & Purchasing 10%
- Works closely with the Principal/Executive Director to develop the school’s annual budget and actively manages the school budget throughout the year
- Manages the campus purchasing process by establishing clear systems for staff to request items, placing orders with vendors, tracking delivery, and coding and submitting purchase orders, invoices, and reimbursement requests; approves school purchases under a specific financial threshold
- Manages Title I budget and compliance
Facilities & Maintenance 10%
- Oversees most facilities issues, including maintenance, managing staff/vendors, aesthetics, shared space agreements, and campus safety
- Regularly conducts facilities walkthroughs and liaises with custodial staff/vendors to ensure that the facility looks clean, professional, warm and inviting
- Ensures that the main office is neat, organized, welcoming and has all important parent facing materials
Student & Family Services
(School Ops; Communications; Field Lessons/Events) 10%
- Oversees food service administration, setting and managing meal schedules, staff duty schedules, and student transitions for all meals
- Oversees transportation, including campus arrival and dismissal procedures, setting and managing staff duty schedules for arrival and dismissal
- Owns logistics of communications and external relations through parent letters, weekly staff notes, and surveys
- Owns all logistics (e.g. transportation, lodging, meals, staffing plan, etc.) of all off-site field lessons and all on-site special events (report card nights, performances, staff celebrations, etc.)
- Serves as point person for hosting visitors on school tours
Technology & Equipment 10%
- Ensures that students and staff have access to needed technology and works with vendors to plan technology related enhancements
- Leads the campus opening/start up process each year to ensure that doors are ready to open by ordering furniture, equipment, and instructional supplies are ready to go
- Manages the school’s supply and asset inventory (e.g. computers, textbooks)
Student Information, Testing, and Academic Operations Support 10%
- Manages systems for and maintains accurate student data and information in compliance with federal, state, regional, and school expectations
- Lead student assessment process, working closely with the Principal/Executive Director and Dean of Curriculum and Instruction* to fully manage the logistical elements of all major student assessments
- Manages logistics of report cards/progress reports/transcripts
Student Recruitment & Enrollment 10%
- Develops and manages student recruitment strategy to ensure that the school begins the academic year with full classes and actively recruits to fill open seats
- Ensures that parent info sessions, school tours, and the lottery and enrollment process are tightly planned and executed.
Risk Management, Compliance, and HR Administration 10%
- Ensure that the school is prepared for emergencies by conducting all drills and training staff on emergency plans
- Partners with Executive Director/Principal on the new hire process (e.g. interviews, new hire offer letters, onboarding)
- Ensures all visitors and personnel interacting with students have appropriate background checks on file; and schools comply with all areas of legal compliance (e.g. HR, FERPA, etc.) Completes the exit form for terminating employees and plans any action items surrounding the exit logistics o Manages time-off data to ensure accuracy and assess leave trends
- Partners with Executive Director/Principal on leave needs and critical dates, and facilitates employee leaves
- Bachelor’s degree required; graduate degree preferred
- 5 years minimum work experience, preferably in education and/or business or operations management
- 2 years minimum work experience managing a team and large projects
- 2 years minimum work experience with financial oversight and budget management
- Strong project and time management skills; ability to effectively backwards plan, juggle multiple priorities with great attention to detail, and deliver consistent and timely results
- Strong strategic and analytical skills with an aptitude systems-building
- Sense of humility, urgency, and customer service mindset
- Strong ability to proactively solve problems and make decisions quickly
- Team player with strong interpersonal and stakeholder management and relationship building skills
- Ability to lead, influence, and hold others accountable to high standards of operational excellence
- Ability to be calm under pressure, especially in difficult conversations with parents and staff
- Excellent organizational, verbal, and written communication skills
- Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Word, Microsoft PowerPoint and Microsoft Excel
- Desire to continuously learn and increase effectiveness as a professional
- Unwavering commitment to Atlanta SMART Academy’s mission and willingness to go above and beyond to meet the needs of students, families, and staff
Compensation Salary for this position is competitive and depends on prior experience. A competitive benefits package will also be offered.
Physical requirements This job is physically demanding and may require standing and walking for extended periods of time and lifting heavy objects up to 40lbs.
Statement of Non-Discrimination Atlanta SMART Academy is committed to a policy of equal treatment for all individuals applying to the school. Atlanta SMART Academy does not discriminate based on race, color, gender, handicap, age, religion, sexual orientation, or national or ethnic origin.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Attn: Patrice Meadows, Executive Director; Subject line- Director of Operations