Atlanta Classical Academy
Atlanta Classical Academy is seeking a creative and dedicated fine arts faculty member to teach art classes, primarily in the lower school (K-6).
Atlanta Classical Academy is a classical charter school that opened K-8 in the 2014 academic year and is now a K-12 school. The curriculum in the elementary school consists in explicit phonics in spelling and reading; grammar via diagramming; the Core Knowledge sequence in literature, history, and science; Singapore Math; and Spanish. Formal Latin is studied from the sixth to the eighth grades, and then students choose whether to continue with classical languages or to study Spanish. The reading of great books informed by Socratic discussion commences in the elementary school.
The upper school curriculum centers on the reading and discussion of great books in literature and primary sources in history and on a thorough understanding of both the facts and the concepts in mathematics and the sciences. The study of art and music is required K-8, and art and music electives are offered as well. To graduate, all seniors must write a senior thesis and deliver and defend it orally in front of their fellow students and members of the faculty. Teachers are hired based upon their mastery of academic disciplines and the ability to convey knowledge to young people. They should also have the ability and desire to shape the character of youth through a clear teaching of moral virtue.
- Teach four lower school art classes each day, in addition to one upper school elective.
- Develop and teach a curriculum that is in line with the mission of the school and that engages all students.
- Attend weekly faculty or department meetings.
- Provide an enrichment opportunity at least one day a week after school.
- Attend lower school performances that display students’ work.
- Provide opportunities for students’ work to be displayed around the school and in the community.
- Participate in professional development opportunities.
- Bachelor’s degree in Fine Arts or Art Education is strongly preferred; a master’s degree in the same field is advantageous
- Solid working knowledge of the concepts, activities, and techniques related to teaching art at the required level
- Strong foundation in classroom management
- Graphic/digital design background preferred
How to Apply
Interested applicants should send a résumé and cover letter to the principal, Mr. Chris Knowles (email@example.com).