Utopian Academy for the Arts
About Utopian Academy for the Arts: Utopian Academy for the Arts is an independent public charter school serving middle school children and families throughout Clayton County, GA. Utopian Academy was approved by the State Charter Schools Commission of Georgia and operates as its own Local Education Agency. The rationale for the enrollment plan for Utopian Academy for the Arts is to provide a significant educational benefit of having a gender-based classroom environment, longer school day, longer school year, Saturday school, and classes in the dramatic, media, and culinary arts for students in Clayton County, GA.
- Provides direct instruction to students identified as eligible for remedial math services in individual, and/or small group settings.
- Uses identified needs to guide the learning process toward student achievement of district’s math content standards. Establishes clear objectives for all lessons, units and projects using formal and informal assessment data obtained from students.
- Uses a variety of manipulatives and hands-on activities to support content standards and the needs and capabilities of the individuals or student groups involved.
- Creates a classroom environment and research-based program of study that is conducive to learning and appropriate to the maturity and interests of the students.
- Provides weekly lesson plans.
- Takes all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials, and facilities.
- Maintains accurate, complete, and correct records as required by law, district policy, administrative guidelines, or specific program requirements.
- Assists the administration in implementing all policies and rules governing student life and conduct, and, for the classroom, develop reasonable rules of classroom behavior and procedure, and maintains order in the classroom in a fair and just manner.
- Makes provision for being available to students and parents for education related purposes outside the instructional day when required or requested to do so under reasonable terms.
- Conducts or participates in needed parent conferences and telephone conferences.
- Conducts student assessments to identify those eligible for intervention services, to plan instruction, and/or to assist staff members in learning various assessment techniques. Assess the accomplishments of students on a regular basis and provide progress reports as required.
- Collaborates, as needed, with appropriate district/campus personnel regarding students who may need specialized interventions.
- Strives to maintain and improve professional competence through professional development activities.
- Participates in discussions or activities focused on using research to improve math.
- Participates in staff development focused on delivery of math intervention and assessment.
- Other duties as assigned by the Principal or his/her designee.
- Bachelor’s degree from a 4-year, accredited college or university;
- Valid Georgia teaching certification in middle school Mathematics, eligibility for Georgia License; or license from a state with similar licensure requirements
- Demonstrated expertise in their subject matter and/or direct subject-area teaching experience
- Demonstrated communication skills- Model correct use of language, oral and written;
- Ability and experience to engage the interest of middle school-age children;
- Ability to work with diverse children, including those with special needs;
- Ability to be flexible and to work in a pleasant and cooperative manner
- Ability to work well with parents;
- Ability to work effectively as a team member;
- Ability to evaluate tests and measurements of achievement;
- Possess a high degree of professionalism and discretion;
- Demonstrated willingness to be held accountable for student’s results.
How to Apply
Application and materials must be submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org PLEASE STATE POSITION APPLIED FOR IN THE SUBJECT LINE OF ELECTRONIC SUBMISSION. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Completed Application for employment including:
- Cover letter / letter of interest defining your strengths in your subject matter, including your experience with supporting a charter school, or arts integrated school. Please cite specific and measurable examples from your practice that make you a fit for our Mathematics Teacher position.
- Valid Copy of your teaching certificate or steps that you will obtain to secure a valid certificate for the position applied for.
- 3 Current Letters of Recommendation with contact information