Tapestry Public Charter School, Atlanta, GA
Tapestry Public Charter School seeks innovative, passionate, and energetic teachers to join our team for the 2017-2018 school year.
The mission of Tapestry is to offer an inclusive, individualized learning environment that is academically engaging, both for neurotypical students and those on the autism spectrum, and to create a positive school culture that empowers all students to take possession of their innate talents and become creative builders of their own future.
Utilizing small, multi-age classrooms with flexible groupings and authentic hands-on learning experiences, Tapestry will provide a student-driven, experiential, sensory-based learning environment. All students will be respected, loved, and valued as the most important members of the school community. More about Tapestry may be found at tapestrycharter.org.
Math/Science Teacher, Middle Grades
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree required; Highly Qualified and completion of a teacher preparation program and/or degree in education or related field and/or Georgia teacher certification in middle grades preferred
- Positive, inclusive, and welcoming attitude
- Enthusiastic, creative, flexible approach to teaching
- Ability to differentiate methodology to accommodate learning differences
- Sound classroom management skills
- Team player: ability to collaborate well with other members of the school community
- Understanding of the Common Core math standards and effective implementation of the standards in the classroom
- Ability to integrate math and science standards in an interdisciplinary teaching block
- Effective use of technology in teaching and learning
- Excellent written, oral communication, and listening skills
- Demonstrated success co-teaching with special education teachers
- Experience working with diverse populations of students, including gifted and those on the autism spectrum
- Experience with the Common Core Georgia Performance Standards (CCGPS)
- Familiarity with Universal Design for Learning, Constructivism in teaching and learning, Response to Intervention (RTI), and the Coalition of Essential Schools Common Principles
- Relevant experience working in a charter school
- Experience working with middle and/or high school-aged students
- Knowledge of project-based, experiential learning
- Gifted endorsed
- Support the mission of Tapestry Public Charter School
- Co-teach interdisciplinary blocks of Math and Science
- Teach other courses as needed, such as related arts, PE, or foreign language
- Teach other grades as needed
- Establish a strong working partnership with special education teachers to develop an exceptional co-teaching learning environment for students
- Maintain excellent lines of communication with families
- Consistently implement the school’s educational program, utilizing Universal Design for Learning and Constructivist learning theory in co-taught classes
- Work collaboratively to develop interdisciplinary course content driven by student interest and aligned with the CCGPS
- Model behavior and practices that reflect the Coalition of Essential Schools common principles
- Engage in continuous professional development and shared learning with other professional staff
- Lead an advisory cohort of students
- Regularly attend faculty meetings, work flexible hours, and perform other duties as necessary (willingness to “wear many hats”)
- Work collaboratively with the entire Tapestry stakeholder community to advance the goals of the school
Compensation: Salary based on Tapestry’s teacher pay scale; TRS and full benefits package.
How to Apply
NOTE: To apply for this position, interested candidates should send (1) a cover letter summarizing interest, skills, and qualifications; (2) a resume or curriculum vitae; (3) the names, addresses, email addresses, and telephone numbers of at least three professional references; and (4) a philosophy of education statement to Barbara Boone, Principal, at email@example.com. Applications without all four requirements will be considered incomplete.