Tapestry Public Charter School
To apply for this position, please send (1) a cover letter; (2) a resume or curriculum vitae; (3) the names, addresses, email addresses, and telephone numbers of at least three professional references; and (4) a philosophy of educational leadership statement to Devon Christopher at email@example.com. Applications without these four requirements will be considered incomplete.
Tapestry Public Charter School opened in August 2014 for grades 6 – 8 and added one grade in each subsequent year and now serves grades 6 – 12.
The mission of Tapestry is to offer an inclusive, individualized learning environment that is academically engaging, both for neurotypical students and those on the autism spectrum, and to create a positive school culture that empowers all students to take possession of their innate talents and become creative builders of their own future.
Utilizing small, multi-age classrooms with flexible groupings and authentic hands-on learning experiences, Tapestry will provide a student-driven, experiential, sensory-based learning environment. All students will be respected, loved, and valued as the most important members of the school community. More about Tapestry may be found at tapestrycharter.org.
Tapestry seeks a passionate, energetic, and innovative Head of School who will serve as our principal, school leader, and chief academic officer beginning in the 2020 – 2021 academic year.
This position offers a unique opportunity for the right person to help build upon the foundation already laid during our first charter term. Our leader must be able to work creatively and collaboratively with stakeholders to advance a dynamic vision. He or she will create an environment that invites respect for all persons, a sense of fairness, and a deep commitment to inclusion and diversity. Our leader will be supported by a team of mission-aligned staff and teachers as well as dedicated board members, who envision the creation of an educational model that can be replicated both locally and nationally.
- Master’s degree or higher in Educational Leadership, Education, Curriculum and Instruction, or a related field
- Positive, inclusive, and welcoming attitude
- Significant successful classroom teaching
- Significant success as a lead teacher, administrator, or supervisor in an educational setting
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with an instructional team
- Relevant experience working with adolescents
- Experience working with diverse populations of students, including those on the autism spectrum
- Desire and ability to mentor young teachers
- Effective use of technology in teaching and learning
- Flexible, solution-oriented, “roll up your sleeves” leadership style
- Excellent written, oral communication, and listening skills
- Experience creating and managing educational budgets
- Knowledge of the Common Core Georgia Performance Standards
- Familiarity with Universal Design for Learning, Constructivism in teaching and learning, Response to Intervention (RTI)Familiarity with SACS accreditation
- Knowledge of IEPs and other requirements related to special education
- Relevant experience working in a middle and/or high school and knowledge of curricular requirements
- Relevant experience working in a charter school
- Support and advance the mission of Tapestry Public Charter School
- Lead the effort to meet or exceed the academic and organizational goals and objectives as outlined in the Tapestry charter
- Create and sustain a positive and supportive school culture while overseeing the daily operations of the school
- Serve as a liaison and facilitator between staff, parents, students, Tapestry board of directors and DeKalb County School District
- Oversee the implementation of the instructional program to ensure that all students have access to rigorous, relevant, and meaningful learning experiences
- Provide leadership for implementing, monitoring, and evaluating practices that provide the greatest evidence of improved student achievement
- Collaborate with staff to evaluate and adjust the implementation of curriculum, assessment, and instruction to ensure the college and career readiness of all students
- Organize and encourage high-quality professional development to support student learning and improve teacher performance
- Supervise assigned personnel, provide assistance, conduct performance appraisals consistent with the state designated evaluation standards, and make recommendations for appropriate employment actions
- Work with the Business Manager and Financial Committee to provide leadership for the development of the school’s budget, ensuring that budget decisions provide optimal support for the educational needs of students
- Involve stakeholders in the school improvement planning process, consistently seeking input and feedback
- Report directly to the Tapestry Board of Directors
Compensation: Salary Commensurate with experience and consistent with local norms for similarly sized schools; full benefits package, including Teacher’s Retirement (TRS).
How to Apply
Interested candidates should send (1) a cover letter; (2) a curriculum vitae; (3) the names, addresses, email addresses, and telephone numbers of at least three professional references; and (4) a philosophy of educational leadership statement to Devon Christopher at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications without these four requirements will be considered incomplete.
Application Deadline: Application review begins 10/1/19 and continues until position is filled.
Tapestry Public Charter School is an equal opportunity employer committed to building a diverse staff and encourages applications from persons of all backgrounds.
Before hire, applicants must satisfy a background investigation including a criminal background check.