Utopian Academy for the Arts is an independent public charter school network serving elementary and middle school children and families throughout Clayton County, GA. The Utopian Academy for the Arts Middle School was approved by the State Charter Schools Commission of Georgia and operates as a Local Education Agency. The rationale for the enrollment plan for Utopian Academy for the Arts is to provide a significant educational benefit of having gender-based classroom environments, Saturday School, and classes in the fine, dramatic, and media arts for students in Clayton County, GA.
The Role: Our greatest instructional strategy is our human capital. More than any other variable in education– more than curriculum or supplies—our faculty and staff matter. Effective teachers who are continually learning and setting high expectations are the key to student academic achievement and success. At Utopian Academy for the Arts Middle School, we believe that students will rise to meet the high expectations set by our team of educators.
- Develop lesson plans that ensure the attainment of state learning standards and the additional specific grade-by-grade learning standards set forth in the charter;
- Coordinate lesson plans with other teachers to maximize possibilities for teaching similar topics in the same general time frame, thus reinforcing student knowledge on an interdisciplinary basis;
- Provide direct and indirect instruction;
- Long and short-term planning addressing individual needs of students;
- Prepare students adequately for all required assessments;
- Evaluate students’ progress;
- Prepare at least quarterly individual student achievement reports for parents;
- Provide an inviting, exciting, innovative, learning environment;
- Engage in effective and appropriate classroom management;
- Report directly to the Principal;
- Accept and incorporate feedback and coaching from administrative staff;
- Serve as an advisor to students, including organizing advisory groups, overseeing the academic and behavioral progress;
- Perform other duties, as deemed appropriate, by the Principal.
- Bachelor’s degree from a 4-year, accredited college or university;
- Valid Georgia teaching certification in middle school ELA, Math, Science, & Social Studies, eligibility for Georgia License; or license from a state with similar licensure requirements
- Demonstrated expertise in their subject matter and/or direct subject-area teaching experience
- Demonstrated communication skills- Model correct use of language, oral and written;
- Ability and experience to engage the interest of middle school-age children;
- Ability to work with diverse children, including those with special needs;
- Ability to be flexible and to work in a pleasant and cooperative manner
- Ability to work well with parents;
- Ability to work effectively as a team member;
- Ability to evaluate tests and measurements of achievement;
- Possess a high degree of professionalism and discretion;
- Demonstrated willingness to be held accountable for student’s results.
How to Apply
Application and materials should be submitted electronically as soon as possible to email@example.com. PLEASE STATE POSITION APPLIED FOR IN THE SUBJECT LINE OF ELECTRONIC SUBMISSION. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Completed Application for Employment including:
- Cover letter / letter of interest defining your strengths in your subject matter, including your experience with supporting a charter school, or arts integrated school. Please cite specific and measurable examples from your practice that make you a fit for our Middle School (All Subjects) Teacher position.
- Valid Copy of your teaching certificate or steps that you will obtain to secure a valid certificate for the position applied for.