Georgia Cyber Academy
Job Title: Middle School Science Teacher
FLSA Status: Exempt
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Reports to: Lead Teacher
Job Code: TEACHER
Summary: The teacher is a highly qualified, Georgia state certified educator responsible for delivering specific course content in an online environment. This role provides a learning environment where students are empowered to successfully reach their full potential and emerge career or college ready.
Essential Functions: Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
- Implements instructional strategies that engage students in active learning;
- Creates instructional resources to meet the varying needs of students;
- Communicates high expectations and shows an active interest in students’ achievement;
- Prepares students for high stakes standardized tests;
- Analyzes student data to prescribe remediation and enrichment as needed to foster positive student growth;
- Participates in data analysis meetings to monitor student growth with administration and implement prescribed strategies;
- Participates in Teacher Leader Effectiveness System as required;
- Collaborates with Professional Learning Communities regarding instruction, resources, interventions, and data-driven decisions;
- Attends and actively contributes to all required district and/or school meetings.
- Adapts course content according to prescribed school board policies and procedures using appropriate asynchronous and synchronous tools;
- Updates grades and gives timely feedback as required in appropriate platform;
- Participates in professional development as assigned;
- Assist in data collection for identified students in Response to Intervention or Individualized Education Plan programs;
- Implement appropriate accommodations as prescribed in Section 504 plans or Individualized Education Plans.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Collaborates with parents and colleagues to manage course goals, curriculum, and materials that enhance the learning experience;
- Hosting live synchronous sessions that promote a positive learning environment;
- Establishes and maintains positive rapport with families and regularly communicates with students and learning coaches/parents/guardians on an ongoing regular basis;
- Understands how both diverse and unique characteristics of students and their families impact required support;
- Works collaboratively with other teachers to ensure that all students are successfully mastering skills and/or standards;
- Responds to students, parents/guardians and colleagues in timely manner which includes documentation in approved platform.
- Travels to testing site as assigned throughout the state to perform required duties which may include site coordinator or examiner;
- Builds community within the classroom and among stakeholders;
- Participates in committees as required;
- Serves as general education representative and notetaker in Individualized Education Plan meetings;
- Student success will be measured by valid and reliable assessment data and parent and student satisfaction within the academic community.
Supervisory Responsibilities: This position has no formal supervisory responsibilities.
Minimum Required Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree AND a valid Georgia certificate;
- Must pass a comprehensive background check.
Certificates and Licenses: Appropriate Georgia state teaching certification in science for 4-8 and/or 6-12.
OTHER REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Pedagogical knowledge of content being taught and ability to apply critical thinking;
- Knowledge of Georgia Standards of Excellence in Science;
- Embrace and implement changes to ensure excellent student outcomes;
- Ability to problem solve independently and have a high level of organization;
- Understanding of interdependency of deadlines on multiple projects and able to act to preserve integrity on other people’s deadlines;
- Ability to work independently typically 40+ hours per week;
- Ability to maintain a professional home office without distraction during work day, typically 8-5 or as defined by the school;
- Consistent access to reliable high-speed internet;
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel, Outlook, Word; PowerPoint; web proficiency;
- Computer literacy and the ability to easily toggle between programs;
- Ability to rapidly learn and adapt to new technologies and teaching platforms;
- Ability to travel 5% of the time for required school events, testing, and professional development.
- Experience working with proposed age group;
- Experience supporting adults and children in the use of basic technology functions;
- Experience working in a virtual environment;
- Experience teaching in an online (virtual) and/or in a brick and mortar environment;
- Experience with online platforms.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- This is a home-based position.
The above job is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor. All employment is “at-will” as governed by the law of the state where the employee works. It is further understood that the “at-will” nature of employment is one aspect of employment that cannot be changed except in writing and signed by an authorized officer.