Wesley International Academy
The following duties are representative for this position. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the classification if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment for this classification. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Plan, design, prepare and deliver high quality lessons to meet the individual needs of all students using a wide range of technologies and creative teaching styles to differentiate learning. Provide a nurturing classroom learning environment, in keeping with the mission and vision of the school.
- Inspire mixed culture and ability classes, encourage students to be critical thinkers who actively pursue open–ended and relevant units of inquiry; and participate in challenging and engaging learning opportunities.
- Develop subject specific assessments for monitoring student competency and progress towards learning targets, objectives, expectations, and/or goals to allow learners to view assessments as a means of describing their learning and shaping future learning.Plan collaboratively, with other instructional staff to build on student knowledge and expertise, select resources; develop significant units of inquiry, accommodate a range of ability levels and emphasize connections between curriculum areas.
- Participate in professional development to improve learning culture, practices and philosophy of the International Baccalaureate Programme, and obtain information required to perform functions and to improve student achievement.
- Advise parents and/or legal guardians of student progress for communicating expectations; student’s achievements; developing methods for improvement and/or reinforcing classroom goals in the home environment.
- Manage student behavior and monitor students in a variety of educational environments (e.g. classroom, cafeteria, playground, school grounds, hallways, restrooms, field trips, etc.) for providing a safe and positive learning environment.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or higher from a Professional Standards Commission approved accredited college or university in relevant educational field required. Knowledge, experience, and/or training in the International Baccalaureate instructional framework and two (2) or more years of experience in a single-gender setting preferred.
Certificates, Licenses, Permits:
- Valid Professional Standards Commission approved certificate in appropriate educational field at level IN-4, SR-4 or above required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of curriculum guidelines of the IB Programme, school and state requirements; standardized testing in accordance with and state laws; policies, programs and procedures, basic math, including calculations using fractions, percent, and/or ratios; read technical information, compose a variety of documents, and/or facilitate group discussions; analysis of situations to define issues and draw conclusions; age appropriate activities; lesson plan requirements; stages of child development; and behavioral management strategies.
- Skill in effective oral, written, and interpersonal communication; preparing assignments and tests for in-school preparation and homework; maintaining order in a classroom setting; administering discipline policies; counseling students with academic difficulties and behavioral problems; applying assessment instruments; operating standard office equipment including using pertinent software applications; and preparing and maintaining accurate records.
- Ability to plan and develop course of study suitable for specific grade levels; develop lesson plans incorporating lectures, projects, group discussions, exhibits, field trips, audiovisual and library resources, computers and the internet; demonstrate patience and appropriate, professional demeanor when interacting with students; schedule activities, meetings, and/or events; gather, collate, and/or classify data; and use job-related equipment. analyze data utilizing defined processes; operate equipment using standardized methods; work with a diversity of individuals and/or groups; work with data of varied types and/or purposes; problem solve, establish and maintain constructive relationships; adapt to changing work priorities; maintain confidentiality; exhibit tact and patience.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use hands and fingers, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop; kneel; crouch; or crawl; and talk; or hear. The employee is required to supervise students requiring the employee to match walking speed that matches the student and may at times require the ability to run to safeguard students. The employee must occasionally lift, carry, move and/or restrain school-age students and move equipment and/or supplies. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally up to 75 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate, but occasionally high depending upon student population and activities. The employee is frequently exposed to wet or humid conditions and outdoor weather conditions. Employee may be exposed to bloodborne pathogens.
General Performance Factors
All employees are expected to interact with others; concentrate; produce work under stressful circumstances; use independent judgment, organizational and decision making skills; attend work, complete all assigned duties in a timely manner, pay close attention to detail and interact with the public in a professional manner that is representative of Wesley International Academy.
Terms of Employment
Ten-month work year. Salary and benefits shall be in accordance with compensation guidelines approved by the Board of Directors and the Executive Director
Performance will be evaluated annually by the Principal or designee
This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee, and is not designed to cover or contain an exhaustive listing of all specific activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee in this job. Essential functions, duties, and responsibilities are subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
This job description has been approved by management.
How to Apply
To apply, applicants must;
1) Visit our website (www.wesleyacademy.org) and select the About tab,
2) Select the Careers page option, and
3) Apply for the PYP Teacher position by clicking on the position link.