Utopian Academy for the Arts
JOB TITLE: Nurse (2021-22 SCHOOL YEAR)
About Utopian Academy for the Arts:
Utopian Academy for the Arts is an independent public charter school network serving elementary and middle school children and families throughout Clayton County, GA. The Utopian Academy for the Arts Middle School was approved by the State Charter Schools Commission of Georgia and operates as a Local Education Agency. The Utopian Academy for the Arts Elementary School was approved by the Clayton County Public Schools System and will operate as a locally-approved charter school. The rationale for the enrollment plan for Utopian Academy for the Arts is to provide a significant educational benefit of having gender-based classroom environments, Saturday School, and classes in the fine, dramatic, and media arts for students in Clayton County, GA.
Our greatest instructional strategy is our human capital. More than any other variable in education– more than curriculum or supplies—our faculty and staff matter. The School Nurse administers medication, treats injuries and ailments, and is the first point of contact in a student-related medical emergency. This role also serves as a consultant to other school professionals, such as teachers, coaches, and counselors.
- Demonstrates an attitude and demeanor that contribute to an atmosphere of harmony and goodwill in the workplace;
- See and assess scholars who come to clinic due to illness or injury;
- Identifies, monitors, and manages students with chronic disease and disabilities;
- Administers treatment, medications, vaccines, preventive and maintenance care to students and families in accordance with established county medication policy;
- Maintains confidentiality of all client information;
- Maintains accurate and up to date documents pertinent to health services provided to students;
- Provides counseling and guidance to students, parents and staff regarding health-related attendance problems;
- Maintains thorough and comprehensive health-related reports, monthly reports, and emergency reports, and ensures compliance with policies and regulations;
- Provides emergency crisis nursing care for physically and/or psychologically ill and injured students and staff in the school;
- Conducts physical health care assessments and screenings, including vision, hearing, dental, scoliosis and nutritional assessments;
- Reports problems to Public Health Department as required by law;
- Collaborates with or serve as a resource person to parents, teachers, and principals concerning health education for students as they relate to school;
- Collaborates with staff on health education for students;
- Contacts parents in need of health education relative to communicable diseases;.
- Coordinates the meeting of the medical needs of students by acting as the liaison between the physician or agencies responsible for the student’s medical needs and related school personnel;
- Attends approved training sessions, staff development activities, and required meetings;
- Complies with all requirements for mandatory reporting of child abuse, illegal harassment, or any criminal activity for which the employee becomes aware;
- Developing plans for student care based on assessment, interventions, and identification of outcomes, and the evaluation of care;
- Providing health-related education to students and staff in both individual and group settings;
- Monitoring immunizations, managing communicable diseases, and assessing the school environment as to prevent injury and ensure safety;
- Overseeing infection control measures;
- Providing health advice to school educational teams, such as the Committee on Special Education and the Individualized Educational Plan (IEP) team;
- Serve as liaisons between school personnel, family, and community healthcare providers to ensure a healthy school environment;
- Performs other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
- Current CPR certification.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing Degree from an accredited School of Nursing is preferred
- Current valid state license as a Registered Nurse (RN) or Licensed Practicing Nurse (LPN).
- Ability to work well with students with parents and staff.
- 1 year as a registered nurse in school setting preferred
- Belief in the mission and vision of Utopian Academy for the Arts
HOW TO APPLY:
Application and materials should be submitted electronically by the preferred deadline of March 12, 2021 to firstname.lastname@example.org “School Nurse” should be labeled in the Subject Line of your message. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
- Completed Application for Employment including:
- Cover letter / letter of interest defining your strengths in your subject matter, including your experience with supporting a charter school, or arts integrated school. Please cite specific and measurable examples from your practice that make you a fit for our School Nurse position.