Fulton Academy of Science and Technology (FAST)
The Fulton Academy of Science and Technology (FAST) was established in 2016 as a STEM Charter School in Roswell, GA. The school is expected to enroll approximately 600 students in the 2018-2019 school year. The mission of FAST is to provide an education based on design thinking and problem-solving with an emphasis on science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM). FAST’s goal is to prepare children in a way that provides them the foundation to be creative innovators and problem solvers so they are prepared for success and leadership in our rapidly changing world.
We are excited to announce our search for a Principal for the 2018-2019 school year. The Principal will hold primary responsibility for leading the successful implementation and evolution of the FAST educational plan as outlined in the Charter. The Principal will report to the Board and will serve as a non-voting member of the Board.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Serve as the Instructional Leader and CEO for a growing K-8 school of 600 students.
- Collaborate with other administration to develop, implement and facilitate professional development and workshops.
- Represent the mission of FAST and communicate the school mission and programs to the school community and to the community at large.
- Present key performance indicators to the Board and community.
- Work to develop a near and long-term school improvement plan.
- Serve as a non-voting member of the Board.
- Foster a positive and cooperative team atmosphere and sets clear, high expectations for all staff while leading and supervising direct reports.
- Ensure that the staff follows all the policies established by the board and comply with relevant federal and state requirements.
- Lead formal and informal teacher observations and professional goal plans; complete formal evaluations for direct reports.
- Mentor teachers directly or provides for mentoring in instructional approaches, classroom management and character role modeling.
- Determine teacher class assignments.
- Participate in professional development, continued education, and training/seminars.
- Develop a relationship with the school’s local authorizer.
- Implement positive school culture.
- Foster communication and collaboration among staff, families and students to support school goals; encourage participation from all stakeholders in school programs and activities.
- Ensure effective supervision of the student body, manage safety controls and handles escalated student discipline issues.
- Manage assigned budgets within parameters established by the Board and work collaboratively with CFO.
- Engage as needed on the school facility and construction projects and collaboratively work with CFO and the Board.
- Determine the number of spots available in each grade; verify the enrollment data; and manage data collection clerk to ensure that all enrollment data is entered in the system and reported to the officials.
- Other duties as assigned by the Board and the board members.
This position has direct supervisory responsibility for K-8 school teachers and staff, and K-8 school special services staff.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Master’s degree in Education Leadership, Specialist or Doctorate preferred.
- 2+ years school level leadership experience, preferred within a charter or private school.
- 5+ years K-8 classroom experience preferred within public, charter and/or private schools.
- Leadership experience in STEM education.
- Demonstrated ability to recruit and retain a highly qualified team that promotes and espouses the mission of FAST.
- Demonstrated knowledge of school law.
- Willingness to obtain continuing education as needed to perform well in the position.
- Commitment to the FAST mission and vision.
- Demonstrated flexibility and experience in effectively solving challenging problems through a positive, collaborative approach.
- Demonstrated responsiveness to accountability requirements and strategic planning.
- Expert-level written and oral communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal and team building skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and consistency in meeting deadlines.
- Demonstrated initiative and skills in the following areas: relationship and community building, educational leadership, communication, conflict resolution, creativity, problem solving, decision-making and time management.
- Entrepreneurial outlook and charter school commitment
The person holding this position must have the ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, policy and expectation documents, school improvement plans, key performance indicators, the strategic plan, staff agreements, evaluation rubrics, district, state and national policy documents that define required actions, charter school laws and documents, budget documents, curriculum proposals and relevant human relations procedures.
- Ability to effectively document classroom observations, analyze data toimprove instructional practices and correspond with staff from all levels.
- Must have ability to read current literature and lead book studies on a given topic.
- Must have the ability to effectively document all required paperwork based on job responsibilities.
- Must have expert level written and oral communication skills and be able to effectively correspond with all stakeholders from all levels.
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of staff, board of directors, administrators, parents, and local/international communities.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts as required for budgets and interpreting statistical data. Understanding of charter school funding.
- Budget responsibility experience preferred.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office including Word, PowerPoint, and Excel Worksheet Software and Google Docs preferred.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables with an empathetic approach which serves not to take sides but to find a solution that allows all parties to move forward productively.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to sit and reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, and run. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
This is a position that must attend the needs of staff, administrators, FAST board of directors and parents. Work may consist of ten (10) plus hour days, with weekend work required. FAST is a high performing charter school of choice in an area with high performing public schools. While continued high performance is expected, FAST is mission focused on educating the next generation of innovators. To that end, FAST has an additional hour of school four days per week for a class called Innovation. FAST seeks to meet each student where they are academically and offers two additional grade levels of acceleration opportunity. These features add to the work load, but make FAST unique and a highly desired school of choice.
Position Type: Full-time
Position Available: 1 Salary Range: commensurate with experience
Job Category: School Leadership
How to Apply
This job search is being conducted by Carney Sandoe & Associates. Please visit their website at: www.carneysanddoe.com and email firstname.lastname@example.org to express your interest and to begin the application process.
Contact at FAST: