Georgia Charter Schools Association
Regional Engagement and Advocacy Leaders (REAL) will serve GCSA on a contractual basis to engage local charter school leaders, parents, supporters, and their surrounding communities to further advance and amplify GCSA’s advocacy priorities at the state and local levels. The ultimate goal is to create an environment in which charter schools have a strong base of support in their communities to foster growth and sustaining power throughout the state.
The work to attract and activate highly-engaged charter school advocates will be accomplished by:
- Engaging charter school PTOs by attending PTO meetings representing GCSA; keeping parents informed of our initiatives and forming strong relationships
- Working in coordination with the Vice President of Advocacy and Government Relations to train PTOs, charter school leaders, teachers, and community members to be effective advocates
- Meeting with school leaders and include senior staff when necessary
- Arranging meetings and events to engage community members
- Keeping the Vice President of Advocacy and Government Relations abreast of important information and developments from the ground
- Connecting local community and civic leaders with GCSA’s leadership team
- Assisting charter schools in grassroots activities such as information nights or canvassing events
- Mobilizing local schools for participation in GCSA’s annual advocacy day event at the Georgia Capitol
- Planning and executing events to engage charter school stakeholders and community members
- Engaging with community organizations such as Home Owner Associations or Neighborhood Planning Units
- Coordinating visits and communications with elected officials
- Sharing and posting communications highlighting school engagement and events to amplify the positive coverage of charter schools
An ideal candidate will be a self-starter with the ability to interact with people from various backgrounds and levels of leadership. An appealing candidate is someone who is a self-starter and tapped into the local community with a solid understanding of public charter schools. GCSA’s new team member is well motivated to work both independently and remotely and prepared to spend the majority of their time in the field, traveling and engaging the community. This important advocacy team member will dedicate 20 hours per week, including some time on weekends when necessary, to advance GCSA’s advocacy efforts.
GCSA will have three REALs serving the following areas:
- Metro Atlanta (APS)/ Fulton County/ DeKalb County/ Clayton County
- West/ Central Georgia (Macon to Savannah)
- South Georgia
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit a resume, cover letter, and letter of reference from a public charter school leader by Friday, October 25, 2019 to email@example.com with Name_REAL in the subject line.
Contracted November 2019 –May 2020, up to 20 hours per week at $20-25/hour.