DuBois Integrity Academy
DuBois Integrity Academy is seeking a School Bus Driver and Custodian. This individual will drive the school bus for our scholars to move from campus to campus. We have three campuses within a five-mile radius. Also, this individual will be responsible for performing custodial duties in between the transporting of scholars from one campus to the next. The job description is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Part I: Position Summary:
- The Bus Operator supports the ongoing enrichment of DIA scholars through facilitation of bus services; providing support within the student transportation services area with specific responsibilities for transporting students over scheduled routes and/or to/from special excursions; ensuring vehicle is in safe operating condition; and ensuring safety of students during transport, loading and unloading from buses.
- Performs Custodial Duties required to maintain cleanliness, sanitary, and safety of assigned school or location. This position reports to the school principal or building designee.
Part II: Supervision and Controls over the Work:
The Bus Driver/Custodian works with a high level of independence and professional discretion under the general supervision of the principal. The work is governed, controlled, and evaluated by the Principal, Executive Director and DuBois Integrity Academy Governance Board Policies.
Part III: Major Duties and Responsibilities (depending on specific assignment, duties and responsibilities listed may include, but are not limited to the following):
- Assists students and other passengers for the purpose of providing safe loading and unloading from buses during normal transport and emergency situations.
- Attends unit meetings, in-service training, workshops, etc.
- Cleans assigned vehicles, both interior and exterior, for the purpose of ensuring safety, appearance, and sanitation of vehicles.
- Conducts emergency evacuation drills at least twice a year for the purpose of ensuring efficiency of procedures and complying with mandated requirements.
- Drives school buses for the purpose of transporting passengers over scheduled routes to and from school and/or field trips in a safe and timely manner
- Performs pre-trip and post-trip inspections (eg fluid levels, tire pressure, exterior condition, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring the safe operating condition of the vehicle and complying with mandated guidelines.
- Reports observations and/or incidents (e.g. discipline, bullying, accident, inappropriate social behavior, etc.) for the purpose of communicating information to appropriate personnel for their action.
- Cleans classrooms, restrooms, offices, dining areas, mops floors, vacuums, strips floors, buffs and wax floors, empties trash; cleans windows; maintains school grounds as required/directed; changes light bulbs; replaces ceiling tiles. Operates various commercial custodial equipment, i.e. scrubber, buffer, commercial vacuum cleaner, ladder, wet vac, shampoo machine. Completes commercial custodial inventory counts; orders supplies as required.
- Must be able to lift fifty (50) pounds frequently and one hundred (100) pounds occasionally.
- Performs other duties as assigned
Part IV: Minimum Qualifications:
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- Georgia State Drivers’ CDL license with P & S endorsement.
- Must be able to pass Georgia basic bus driver’s certification class and maintain annual recertification.
- Variable work environment – School grounds, and all buildings; subjected to a wide range of weather conditions and temperatures.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills when dealing with students, parents and staff.
- Walking, standing, kneeling, bending for eight (8) hours per day.
- 1 year of work experience preferred
- Must Be Flexible.
Part V: Physical and Environmental Requirements of the Position:
Adhering to safety practices. Administering first aid. Knowledge and able to apply pertinent codes, policies, regulations and/or laws. Ability to operate district vehicles, fire extinguisher, two-way radio, and standard office equipment. Preparing and maintaining accurate records. Knowledge of emergency evacuation techniques. Knowledge of area streets and locations. Understanding of basic vehicle maintenance. Knowledge of first aid, health standards, and hazards. Understanding of safe driving practices and safety practices and procedures. Ability and knowledge to utilize wheelchairs, tie downs, child safety seats, lifts, etc (by assignment).
The Physical Abilities and Other Conditions of Continued Employment listed in this section are representative of, but are not intended to provide an exhaustive list of Physical Abilities and Other Conditions of Continued Employment which may be required of positions in this class. DuBois Integrity Academy encourages persons with disabilities who are interested in employment in this class and need reasonable accommodation of those disabilities to contact the Human Resources Department for further information.
- Vision: (which may be corrected) to read small print; view a computer screen for prolonged periods.
- Hearing: (which may be corrected) to answer telephones and tolerate exposure to noisy conditions.
- Speech: to be understood in face-to-face communications; to speak with a level of proficiency and volume to be understood over a telephone.
- Upper Body Mobility: use hands and fingers to feel, grasp, and manipulate small objects; manipulate fingers, twist and bend at wrist and elbow; extend arms to reach outward and upward; use hands and arms to lift objects; turn, raise, and lower head.
- Strength: to lift, push, pull and/or carry objects which weigh as much as 5 or more pounds on a frequent basis.
Incumbent may be required to physically restrain parties involved in a conflict.
- Environmental Requirements: encounter constant work interruptions; work cooperatively with others; work independently; work indoors.
- Mental Requirements: read, write, understand, interpret and apply information at a moderately complex level essential for successful job performance; math skills at a high school proficiency level; judgement and the ability to process information quickly; learn quickly and follow verbal procedures and standards; give verbal instruction; rank tasks in order of importance; copy, compare, compile and coordinate information and records.
Additional Work Conditions & Physical Abilities: High Noise Environment, High Dust, Dirt and Grease. Environment, encounters constant work interruptions; work cooperatively with others; work independently; work indoors. *Regular exposure to radiant or electrical energy (eg, ionizing radiation). The job
DuBois Integrity Academy assures Equal Employment Opportunities and equal education opportunities for employees and students as required by Federal and State Orders and Laws. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential tasks. This job description is intended to accurately reflect the position activities and requirements. However, management and administration reserve the right to modify, add, or remove duties and assign other duties as necessary. It is not intended to be and should not be construed as an all- inclusive list of all the responsibilities, skills, or working conditions associated with the position.