Georgia Connections Academy
Founded in 2001, Connections Education is a leading provider of high-quality, highly accountable online education solutions for schools, school districts, and students in grades K–12. It serves families and schools with a variety of digital learning and online school solutions including Connections Academy,International Connections Academy, and Pearson Connexus. In 2017, Connections Education brings full-time online and blended school to 65,000 students across the U.S. and abroad, and delivers online courses to over 340,000 students. In total, over 400,000 students in the U.S. and 48 countries will receive online learning from Connections Education in 2017. Connections Education is based in Baltimore, Maryland and was named a “Top Workplace” by the Baltimore Sun for the third consecutive year and a 2013 “Best Place to Work” by Baltimore magazine. Regularly recognized for its outstanding curriculum and leadership, Connections Education is committed to expanding quality education through technology, and helping students achieve both academic and personal success. Connections Education is part of the global education company, Pearson.
Georgia Connections Academy is a tuition-free, full-time virtual school for students in grades K-12 throughout Georgia. The school is authorized by the Georgia Charter Schools Commission. Our mission is to maximize academic achievement for students who are seeking other academic options. Georgia Connections Academy fulfills the intent of the Georgia legislature in the Charter School Law to “increase student achievement through academic and organizational innovation” by reaching students through a virtual approach that provides the best pathway to success. Connections Academy is a division of Connections Education, which is accredited by AdvancED.
Position Summary and Responsibilities:
Working from our office in Duluth, Georgia, the School Business Manager will report to the School Principal. The School Business Manager will be responsible for the schools’ business, financial, and compliance functions and will manage many of the site-based, non-academic school operations. Additionally, this individual will be a primary point of contact between the school and key centralized service centers at Connections Education.
The School Business Manager will be responsible for the successful completion of the following tasks:
- Work with the Board Treasurer, Connections Education’s Charter School Financial Services unit, and the School leadership in managing the schools’ budget, various grants and reimbursement opportunities (e.g., e-rate) and ensuring that accounting procedures, both school based as well as centralized, meet all federal, state, and grant-specific requirements;
- Oversee population of schools’ respective student information systems by monitoring data for inconsistencies, researching inconsistencies and developing plans for correction and future prevention;
- Work with the Board Treasurer, Connections Education staff, school leadership and school based data personnel to ensure timely, accurate, and complete reporting to all external entities (federal, state, authorizer, etc.);
- Work with the school leadership, the School Board, and Connections Education staff on development of Board policy in non-educational areas;
- Provide regular reports on fiscal, operational and compliance matters to the School Board;
- Work with the School Board, GADOE, and Connections Education staff as the school site lead on the charter renewal process;
- In partnership with School Directors, act as liaison with charter authorizers for non-educational matters
- Assist with accreditation process, in particular regarding the non-educational areas such as business and governance;
- Monitor regulatory compliance and support preparation for legislative and financial audits in collaboration with the Connections Education staff, as well as function as lead person for school audits;
- Monitor all enrollment requirements and oversee student accounting functions and the receipt, storage and maintenance of local student records;
- Develop, implement and monitor attendance accounting procedures and reporting to insure maximum school funding and legal compliance;
- Work with Charter School Financial Services to monitor and track all school-based assets;
- Support maintenance of local bank accounts and other banking needs;
- Stay current on the state’s policies, procedures and legislation; and
- All other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant work experience
- Some operational or logistics experience and/or management experience
- Education experience a plus, especially with educational reporting requirements
- Relevant advanced degree
- Expertise in data manipulation, reporting, and importing and exporting between applications
- Technologically proficient (especially with Microsoft OS and MS Office programs)
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Customer focused approach
- High degree of flexibility
- Demonstrated ability to work well in fast paced environment
- Team player track record
- Experience in managing people preferred