Charles R. Drew Academy
Charles R. Drew Charter School opened in 2000 as Atlanta’s first charter school and is an integral part of holistic neighborhood revitalization led by the East Lake Foundation. Drew Charter School serves over 1,600 children in Pre-K through 12th grade, growing ultimately to serve over 2,000 students from “cradle -to-college” with two onsite early learning partners. Drew’s innovative academic model of Project-Based Learning (PBL), incorporating a Science Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Mathematics (STEAM) theme, has effectively closed both the achievement gaps and the opportunity gaps for children from diverse backgrounds.
Position Description: Classroom teachers are expected to plan, organize and implement an appropriate instructional program in a learning environment that guides and encourages students to develop and fulfill their academic potential. This position reports to the Senior Academy (SA) Principal.
- Establish and enforce rules for behavior and procedures for maintaining order among the students for whom they are responsible.
- Observe and evaluate students’ performance, behavior, social development, and physical health.
- Prepare materials and classrooms for class activities.
- Adapt teaching methods and instructional materials to meet students’ varying needs and interests.
- Plan and conduct activities for a balanced program of instruction, demonstration, and work time that provides students with opportunities to observe, question, and investigate.
- Instruct students individually and in groups, using various teaching methods such as lectures, discussions, and demonstrations.
- Establish clear objectives for all lessons, units, and projects, and communicate those objectives to students.
- Assign and grade class work and homework.
- Prepare, administer, and grade tests and assignments in order to evaluate students’ progress.
- Confer with parents or guardians, teachers, counselors, and administrators in order to resolve students’ behavioral and academic problems.
- Meet with parents and guardians to discuss their children’s progress, and to determine their priorities for their children and their resource needs.
- Maintain accurate and complete student records as required by laws, school policies, and administrative regulations.
- Prepare students for later grades by encouraging them to explore learning opportunities and to persevere with challenging tasks.
- Guide and counsel students with adjustment and/or academic problems, or special academic interests.
- Prepare and implement remedial programs for students requiring extra help.
- Prepare objectives and outlines for courses of study, following curriculum guidelines or requirements of states and schools.
- Enforce administration policies and rules governing students.
- Confer with other staff members to plan and schedule lessons promoting learning, following approved curricula.
- Use computers, audiovisual aids, and other equipment and materials to supplement presentations.
- Prepare for assigned classes, and show written evidence of preparation upon request of immediate supervisors.
- Collaborate with other teachers and administrators in the development, evaluation, and revision of elementary school programs.
- Prepare reports on students and activities as required by administration.
- Instruct and monitor students in the use and care of equipment and materials, in order to prevent injuries and damage.
- Attend professional meetings, educational conferences, and teacher training workshops in order to maintain and improve professional competence.
- Plan and supervise class projects, field trips, visits by guest speakers or other experiential activities, and guide students in learning from those activities.
- Bachelor’s Degree with at least a 2.5 GPA required
- Zero (0) years of teaching experience
- Minimum of T4-Certification in English (6-12) OR Passed the GACE Basic Skills Assessment in English or have reciprocity eligibility
- Salary Range: $45,600 to $91,688
- Work Days: 195
- Drew Charter School offers our full-time staff members a broad, generous benefits package.
How to Apply
Apply on Drew’s website at www.drewcharterschool.org/employment.