Utopian Academy for the Arts
Utopian Academy for the Arts is an independent public charter school network serving elementary and middle school children and families throughout Clayton County, GA. The Utopian Academy for the Arts Elementary School was approved by the Clayton County Public Schools System and will operate as a locally-approved charter school. The rationale for the enrollment plan for Utopian Academy for the Arts is to provide a significant educational benefit of having gender-based classroom environments, and classes in the fine, dramatic, and media arts for students in Clayton County, GA. Since its inception, The Utopian Academy for the Arts has operated as a middle school, but in 2020 we will expand to include elementary education as well. The elementary school, which will initially just offer kindergarten and first grade, will serve 125 students in its first year and will occupy existing space on Utopian’s campus.
The Role: The Special Education Coordinator oversees the provision of special education academic programs and curriculum. The position is responsible for conducting training, assessing educational materials and needs, evaluating educational technologies and assists with the development of effective instructional methods and strategies. In addition, the Special Education Coordinator will work closely with school administrators and other relevant educational personnel to ensure compliance with federal, state, and local educational standards, student performance, and accountability.
- Works closely with Principal to establish a positive, structured, achievement- oriented, and creative school culture for all special education students;
- Serves as the Director of Special Education and is the direct supervisor of special education staff;
- Coordinates the school Student Support Team (SST) program, provides training on the SST process to teachers and creates SST documents, as necessary;
- Serves as the 504 Coordinator;
- Provides comprehensive academic support services to teachers and students;
- Provides direct and indirect instruction;
- Coordinates provision of remedial support for students with disabilities and at-risk students;
- Develops and trains staff on all academic programs relevant to services for students with disabilities;
- Coordinates operational and academic services related to all educational programs;
- Works with other staff in delivering a unified educational program for students with disabilities;
- Interacts with various agencies/individuals to acquire academic programs;
- Maintains professional knowledge and awareness of best practices for all academic concerns related to special education;
- Monitors, develops, and implements a plan of action based on the usage of academic programs;
- Facilitates the collection of progress monitoring data;
- Creates and maintains the school’s special education data board;
- Participates in District Staff meetings, Special Education Staff Meetings, Compliance Leadership Meetings, and Related Services meetings;
- Develops and facilitates model lessons, lesson plans, and/or differentiated academic materials;
- Assists with standardized test administration as needed;
- Any additional duties or responsibilities as assigned by the Principal or Executive Director.
- BA or BS Degree in Special Education;
- State certification as a special education teacher and any other credentialing required and applicable;
- Knowledge of the SST process;
- Knowledge of special education processes;
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and work effectively with parents;
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to individual specific needs;
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to differences and changes in characteristics of students, programs, leadership, staff, and community;
- Demonstrated ability to utilize varied teaching methodologies to accommodate students’ unique learning styles;
- Demonstrated ability to evaluate tests and measures of achievement;
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as a team member;
- Demonstrated organizational ability.
How to Apply
Application and materials should be submitted electronically by the priority deadline of December 4, 2019 to email@example.com “Elementary School-Special Education Coordinator” should be labeled in the Subject Line of your message. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
- Completed Application for Employment including:
- Cover letter / letter of interest defining your strengths in your subject matter, including your experience with supporting a charter school, or arts integrated school Please cite specific and measurable examples from your practice that make you a fit for our Founding Special Education Coordinator position
- Valid Copy of your special education certificate.