Utopian Academy for the Arts is an independent public charter school network serving middle school children and families throughout Clayton County, GA. The Utopian Academy for the Arts Middle School was approved by the Clayton County Public Schools System and will operate as a locally approved charter school. The rationale for the enrollment plan for Utopian Academy for the Arts is to provide a significant educational benefit of having gender-based classroom environments, and classes in the fine, dramatic, and media arts for students in Clayton County, GA. Since its inception, The Utopian Academy for the Arts has operated as a middle school, and in 2020 we will expand to include elementary education as well.
The Role: The Special Education Teacher is a state-certified educator who provides daily instruction and support in the academic environment. The special education teacher creates strategies to engage and facilitate student learning, serves as a case manager and point of contact for students and parents, and monitors academic progress to help prioritize student learning objectives.
- Initiate, develop, and facilitate IEP and eligibility consideration meetings;
- Collaborate with instructional teachers to review student academic data;
- Track and communicate all IEP service changes (e.g. setting, accommodations, eligibility changes, related services, AT needs, etc.);
- Collaboratively serve as point of contact regarding academic needs, accommodations, and IEP services for families and teachers;
- Receive progress reports and information from related services providers;
- Provide special education documents to parent/guardian and required team members prior to and following meetings;
- Administer assessments (e.g. performance, informal, or formal) to monitor student progress;
- Monitor student engagement and attendance data;
- Input testing accommodations into school database after each IEP meeting; verify accommodations prior to state testing;
- In collaboration with Special Education Coordinator, verify student class schedules for alignment with IEP services and FTE reporting;
- Document communication with families via contact logs in Infinite Campus;
- Maintains lesson plans, artifacts, and materials used to facilitate student instruction;
- Comply with all written policies and procedures in teacher, district, and school-based handbooks;
- Establish a virtual classroom environment conducive to learning;
- Implement all IEP services and accommodations within classroom and testing environments with fidelity;
- Utilize research-based strategies and differentiation to engage and nurture student learning and student relationships based on individual strengths and needs;
- Complete all case management and instructional duties as assigned throughout the school year;
- Maintain special education records compliance, to include timelines, reporting, and open records requests; as outlined by IDEA and the GADOE;
- Any additional duties or responsibilities as assigned by the Principal or Executive Director.
- BA or BS Degree in Special Education;
- State certification as a special education teacher and any other credentialing required and applicable;
- At least one year of experience as a special education teacher, preferred;
- Knowledge of the SST process;
- Knowledge of special education processes;
- Demonstrated strong data-collection, differentiation, and specialized instructional strategy skills;
- Demonstrated understanding of the GADOE Implementation Manual guidelines for Special Education;
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and work effectively with parents;
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to individual specific needs;
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to differences and changes in characteristics of students, programs, leadership, staff, and community;
- Demonstrated ability to utilize varied teaching methodologies to accommodate students’ unique learning styles;
- Demonstrated ability to evaluate tests and measures of achievement;
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as a team member;
- Demonstrated organizational ability.
How to Apply
Application and materials should be submitted electronically as soon as possible. Send applications to firstname.lastname@example.org “Middle School-Special Education Teacher” should be labeled in the Subject Line of your message. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
- Completed Application for Employment including:
- Cover letter / letter of interest defining your strengths in your subject matter, including your experience with supporting a charter school, or arts integrated school
Please cite specific and measurable examples from your practice that make you a fit for our Founding Special Education Teacher position
- Valid Copy of your special education certificate.