Georgia Charter Schools Association
The Georgia Charter Schools Association (GCSA) is seeking a Director of Grassroots Advocacy (DGA) to lead the recruiting, training, organizing, mobilizing, and maintenance of a grassroots movement in support of beneficial charter school policies. Under the direction of the EVP of Policy and External Relations, the DGA will develop and implement a grassroots strategy to create a “Charter School Ambassadors” program that ensures effective volunteer engagement through regular communications, advocacy training, and both online and personal calls to action to raise awareness and demonstrate support for policy change at the local and state levels.
As the state’s only advocacy organization solely dedicated to prioritizing charter school students and families, GCSA leads a comprehensive policy and advocacy effort that combines policy expertise and grassroots advocacy to ensure charter schools are prioritized within state and local policy and budget decisions. GCSA believes that awareness is the starting point but not the finish line, and it prioritizes the following steps in its approach to advocacy work: 1) raising awareness, 2) building will, and 3) taking action.
- Develops and implements an annual plan to recruit, train, mobilize and maintain local-level charter school supporters in a variety of legislative districts in Georgia.
- Identifies opportunities for the recruitment of grassroots supporters and key contact volunteers, and proactively reaches out to charter school leaders to coordinate trainings.
- Maintains regular communication with grassroots supporters to keep them engaged and active throughout the year (this includes alerts, newsletters, email updates, social media messaging, etc.).
- Plans and implements trainings for grassroots supporters that empower and educate local-level advocates on how they can impact change by supporting GCSA policy priorities.
- Regularly evaluates and reports growth of the grassroots movement through various metrics, including but not limited to tracking performance of communications and analyzing network trends through web-based action and reporting systems.
- At the direction of the EVP of Policy and External Relations, the DGA builds and mobilizes support for GCSA’s approved policy initiatives by:
- activating and engaging grassroots supporters in both online and offline tactics to impact GCSA’s approved policy initiatives;
- writing and launching action alerts to mobilize volunteers to send communications to lawmakers, regulators, and industry leaders;
- working closely with communications staff to develop messaging materials that will be effective with grassroots supporters and enable their engagement with specific policymakers; and
- identifying opportunities for state and local policymakers to visit charter schools in key legislative districts and coordinating site visit logistics.
EDUCATION, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
GCSA is seeking candidates who excel in grassroots development, are detail and results-oriented, and have a passion for improving the lives of children.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Political Science, Communications, related area or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum of 3-5 years of experience in community organizing and mobilization, volunteer management, public policy, public health, government relations, or political and/or issue campaigns.
- Experience recruiting, directing, coaching, monitoring, and supervising volunteers.
- Ability to take direction from the GCSA Policy lead and work closely with the Communications Director to develop materials and resources that will help grassroots supporters deliver key messages to policymakers for the purpose of improving policies and practices governing charter schools.
- Working knowledge of and ability to effectively implement grassroots advocacy principles.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to simultaneously manage multiple, complex projects in varying stages of development under time constraints.
- Experience with supporting integrated campaign strategies, including media (traditional and social) advocacy, grassroots mobilization, and coalition-building to advance public policy goals.
- Use and management of web-based grassroots action sites for creating campaigns, sending alerts and managing volunteer and legislator information.
- Knowledge of the legislative process at the state and local levels.
- Demonstrated ability to work with minimal supervision; self-starter.
- Must be able to travel throughout Georgia to meet with and help organize grassroots supporters around the state and across multiple school districts.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
GCSA offers a competitive salary and benefits package. The salary range for this position is $65,000-$75,000 (based on qualifications and experience)
Email a resume and cover letter outlining your interest in the position to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Grassroots Advocacy Job” in the subject line.