Fulton Academy of Science and Technology
Fulton Academy of Science and Technology (FAST), a charter school in the Fulton County School District, is hiring for the full time position of Innovation Teacher to enhance and develop our Design Thinking and Project Based Learning educational experiences. One of our marks of distinction is that we offer an extra class in grades K-7 called “Innovation Hour”. These classes are specific to developing Design Thinking and Problem Solving Skills as part of lifelong learning and preparation for becoming leaders in an uncertain and ever changing world.
This position plays a key leadership role in our innovation journey. We are committed to strengthening and enriching student learning through innovative teaching methods that put the student and his or her own goals for the future at the center of all learning experiences. We strive to empower students to identify and solve problems, bridge content across traditional “subject” domains, and develop an unshakable growth mindset. Using the engineering design process, the Innovation teacher will assist, support and encourage students as they learn new skills for developing ideas, experiencing success and failure, and making things in a highly collaborative setting. The Innovation teacher will also provide inspiration and support for faculty in developing and implementing new innovative learning opportunities. This is for a teacher who wants to play with education in the most hands on and creative manners.
This position reports to the Innovation Coordinator.
Successful Candidates will possess:
- Bachelor’s in Education, with clear PSC Certification for any of the following:
- a. Early Grade Education,
- b. Middle Grades Math or Science,
- c. CTAE Computer Science or Engineering Technology.
- Background with Design Thinking and Project Based Learning
3. Passion for innovative and creative education.
4. Proven history of supporting the development of a community-wide common language around innovation, including faculty, students, families, and local community. Reach out to “outside” community to collaborate and form partnerships.
5. Understanding of the educational and social development of children in this age-group
6. Knowledge of or demonstrable willingness to use diverse materials to create like wood, cardboard, styrofoam, paper mache, metal, programming, 3D Printer, Laser Engraver, etc.
- Planning projects for K-7th grade classes that explore Design Thinking Protocols and develop problem solving skills.
- Regularly update parents regarding Innovation project topics, process, and final products via school web pages.
- Showcase photos and summary of students’ work through online parent communication platforms.
- Plan and coordinate FAST Innovation Showcases together with the Director of Innovation
- Recording student progress with audio visual equipment and tracking grades in county portal.
- Collaborating with classroom teachers regarding incorporating Design Thinking and Project Based Learning into their classes.
- Leading Professional Development sessions on Web 2.0 Tools for Education and incorporating Project Based Learning into classrooms.
- Placing orders for materials required for the projects.
How to Apply
Applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org