Utopian Academy for the Arts
About Utopian Academy for the Arts – Trilith
Utopian Academy for the Arts is an independent public charter school network that serves elementary, middle, and high school students in Clayton County, GA. Through its replication and expansion efforts with the State Charter Schools Commission of Georgia, Utopian Academy is expanding with its fourth charter school model to include a statewide attendance zone for the Utopian Academy for the Arts-Trilith, which will be in Fayette County, GA. By utilizing an industry specific hands-on approach to learning, the Utopian Academy for the Arts – Trilith students will develop an understanding and appreciation for the entertainment industry through the exposure of the creative arts pathways. Students will attain principles and practices of gaming, animation, audio & video, visual development and digital media through partnerships with companies aligned with the field Utopian Academy – Trilith will begin the 2023-24 school year with 6th grade and add a grade each year for three years to serve 6th through 8th grades.
Our greatest instructional strategy is our human capital. More than any other variable in education– more than curriculum or supplies—our faculty and staff matter. Effective teachers who are continually learning and setting high expectations are the key to student academic achievement and success. At Utopian Academy for the Arts-Trilith, we believe students will rise to meet the high expectations set by our team of educators. The ideal candidate for this role will possess a genuine concern for students and their subject, resilience, a growth mindset, adaptability, and passion. We hope to develop a genuine community of practice in which teachers play a vital role in developing curriculum and instructional strategies for educating students.
- Develop lesson plans that ensure the attainment of state learning standards and the additional specific grade-by-grade learning standards set forth in the charter;
- Coordinate lesson plans with other teachers to maximize possibilities for teaching similar topics in the same general time frame, thus reinforcing student knowledge on an interdisciplinary basis;
- Provide direct and indirect instruction;
- Long and short-term planning addressing individual needs of students;
- Prepare students adequately for all required assessments;
- Evaluate students’ progress through frequent formative assessment;
- Provide an inviting, exciting, innovative, learning environment;
- Engage in effective and appropriate classroom management;
- Report directly to the Principal;
- Accept and incorporate feedback and coaching from administrative staff;
- Serve as an advisor to students, overseeing the academic and behavioral progress;
- Perform other duties, as deemed appropriate, by the Principal.
- Bachelor’s degree from a 4-year, accredited college or university;
- Valid Georgia teaching certification in middle school ELA, eligibility for Georgia License; or license from a state with similar licensure requirements
- Demonstrated expertise in their subject matter and/or direct subject-area teaching experience
- Demonstrated communication skills- Model correct use of language, oral and written;
- Ability and experience to engage the interest of middle school-age children;
- Ability to work with diverse children, including those with special needs;
- Ability to be flexible and to work in a pleasant and cooperative manner
- Ability to work well with parents;
- Ability to work effectively as a team member;
- Ability to evaluate tests and measurements of achievement;
- Possess a high degree of professionalism and discretion;
- Demonstrated willingness to be held accountable for student’s results.
How to Apply
Application and materials should be submitted electronically by the priority deadline of February 28, 2023 to firstname.lastname@example.org “Founding ELA Teacher – Trilith” should be labeled in the Subject Line of your message. Applications submitted after priority deadline will be reviewed on a rolling basis. All submissions should include the following:
- Completed Application for Employment
- Cover letter / letter of interest defining your strengths and your educational and leadership philosophy. Please cite specific and measurable examples from your practice that have resulted in closing the academic achievement gap.
- Copy of valid Georgia Teacher certification
- 3 Current Letters of Recommendation with contact information