Georgia Connections Academy
Georgia Connections Academy is a tuition-free, full-time virtual school for students in grades 4-12 throughout Georgia. The school is authorized by the Georgia Charter Schools Commission and governed by an independent Board of Directors, with a mission to maximize academic achievement for students who are seeking other academic options. The school is operated by Georgia Connections Academy, a nonprofit corporation, through a contract with Connections Academy of Georgia, LLC, to provide its educational program and other services. Connections Academy, a division of Connections Education, is accredited by Cognia, and GACA is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges; Schools Council on Accreditation and School Improvement.
Georgia Connections Academy strives to create an inclusive environment that welcomes and values the diversity of the people we serve. We foster fairness, equity, and inclusion to create a workplace environment where everyone is treated with respect and dignity.
Position Summary and Responsibilities
Working from either the GACA office or a home office, the teacher will assist “at-risk” students and parents/learning coaches with scheduling, compliance, and success plans. The teacher will be a point of contact for student concerns that span multiple subject areas as well as non-academic issues. The Advisory Teacher will become an expert on school regulations and policies pertaining to attendance and participation for students.
The Advisory Teacher will be responsible for the successful completion of the following tasks:
- Advise students and families related to academics, scheduling, and onboarding;
- Advise students with issues related to lesson participation, attendance, instructional interventions and student success plans;
- Work with school teams to identify and help families access school and community resources;
- Identify students who are “at risk” or “in crisis”; Act as a point of contact for these students and families, communicating regularly with them;
- Oversee and maintain the student success plan
- Support families through the school withdrawal process, assisting with data collection regarding withdrawal;
- Report and refer to critical incidents that jeopardize student well-being as obligated by law, administrative regulations, or ethical standards. Stay abreast of all state regulations relating to incident reporting and documentation;
- Assist teachers when students enroll mid-semester, making sure that teachers receive guidance on integrating the students into their coursework, and ensuring that previous grades, credits, and evaluations are handled appropriately;
- Understand the requirements for and assist the state testing team to facilitate the administration of all district testing;
- Support professional development activities for teachers and school staff members
- Other duties as assigned.
- Georgia teacher/counseling certification
- Strong technology skills (especially with Microsoft Office products)
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Customer focused approach
- Excellent attention to detail and organizational skills
- High degree of flexibility
- Team player with demonstrated leadership skills
- Demonstrated ability to work well in fast-paced environment
- Willingness to travel on occasion for marketing and state testing events (may require occasional overnight travel)
- Bi-lingual; preferred
- Special Education experiences; preferred
How to Apply
July 31, 2022