DeKalb Preparatory Academy
Role: Head of School (HOS)
Location: Decatur GA
Reports to: Board of Directors
The HOS is expected to oversee all daily operational requirements to:
- Efficiently lead the management team.
- Execute a viable plan to student excellence through top notch teaching,
- Ensure a fulfilling and pleasant student experience,
- Ensure full compliance with the School Charter document.
- Develop and implement school strategic plan in a timely manner.
- Work closely with the School Board to achieve goals and deadlines.
- Ensure enhanced professional development for staff.
- Comply with formal channels/procedures in governance.
- Promote the school visibility in the community and oversee development efforts.
- Ensure adequate technology is in place to support strategic goals.
- Propose innovative ideas to ensure growth and that the school remains competitive.
- Foster positive climate and involve all stakeholders in decision making,
- Manage a team of 50+ employees, supervise human resources and ensure there is no conflict of interest.
The work hours for the HOS on location will coincide with the school operational hours and include required evening and weekend hours whenever necessary.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
- Master’s degree and/or PhD
- Be a strong leader that has a high level of emotional intelligence.
- Be active in the community.
- Six years of leadership experience managing multiple departments and personnel.
- Unwavering commitment to quality educational programs and data-driven program evaluation to support growth and achievement for all students.
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- A persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills
- Three years of experience in Charter school administration (Head of School preferred)
- Experience in technology for project-based learning and/or Audio Video and Communication (AVC).
- Experience managing a multi-million-dollar budget.
- Action-oriented and innovative approach to business planning; actively applies entrepreneurial thinking to motivate staff.
- Past success working with a Board of Directors with the ability to cultivate effective relationships and engage with the business community on behalf of the school.
General administration and oversight:
As the designee of the Board, the Head of School will oversee the active management of the day-to-day business, operations, and affairs of the school; shall see that all orders and resolutions of the Board are understood and carried into effect; and shall perform such other duties as the Board shall prescribe. The Head leads in the maintenance of good relations with the school families, personnel, constituents, and business contacts of the school.
The Head of School will be directly responsible for/oversee staff to:
- Administer the school in conformity with Board policy and in accordance with the laws of the State of Georgia.
- Make administrative decisions for the proper functioning of the academic program and all other operations of the school.
- Operate as a Board member ex officio and assist in the preparation of the agenda for each Board meeting.
- Attend all Board meetings and participate in all deliberations of the Board.
- Manage the annual budget with fiscal responsibility and recommend appropriate actions to the Board.
- Review and assess all necessary data and perform any studies, including accreditation, that may be required of the school.
- Maintain official records and documents at a secure location.
- Ensure professional development of the staff including himself/herself.
The Head of School is responsible for the overall personal and professional growth and leadership of the school’s faculty and staff. Leading in personnel relations will maximize the educational benefits for each student.
The Head of School will:
- Conduct appropriate administrative, faculty, or staff meetings, as necessary. This will include one on one with faculty and staff.
- Approve the practices and procedures of teacher training, and continuing charter education.
- Interview prospective personnel and assess their professional qualifications.
- Administer all other personnel policies in such areas as salary, placement, leave, fringe benefits, discipline, and grievance procedures.
- Resolve problems that may arise between parents and teachers, teachers and students, or staff members, applying people management principles of problem-solving.
Curriculum and Instruction:
The Head of School leads in developing, achieving, and maintaining the strongest possible educational programs and services which promote the goals and objectives of the school.
The Head of School will:
- Use LMS and other tools at disposal to ensure continuous program effectiveness by identifying, monitoring, and analyzing areas needing improvement and intervention.
- Facilitate curriculum development activities that increase staff expertise and knowledge.
- Thoroughly understand the Project-learning model of teaching as it relates to Audio Visual Communication and seeks to incorporate that into all aspects of the curriculum and instruction process.
- Carry forward the educational goals and philosophy of the school while leading in curriculum development.
- Work with leadership in the direction of a program of evaluation through classroom visitation, lesson observation, self-evaluation of teaching methods, curriculum content, and classroom management.
The Head of School supervises the welfare of the student body and its individual students in their character and academic growth, the quality of their learning program, and their physical wellbeing.
The Head of School will:
- Hold teachers accountable for implementing policies for student discipline as defined in the Code of Conduct.
- Ensure that a school-wide program of student evaluation is affected, including achievement testing, and ensure that proper record keeping, and reporting procedures are followed by teachers and staff.
- Approve and oversee extracurricular activities and the personnel who supervise them.
- Commit to improving available technology and adopt cutting edge resources.
The Head of School is responsible for leading and maintaining good public relations with the various constituents and businesses with whom the school comes in contact. The Head of School oversees programs in the areas of student recruitment, publicity, fundraising, database management, and organizational management.
The Head of School will:
- Establish high expectations for student achievement and communicate these expectations through a variety of media (newsletters, monthly reports, annual reports, presentations, memos) to all stakeholders (internal and external) on a regular basis.
- Serve as the public relations officer for the entire school, overseeing the relations with various constituents and the public
- Understanding of charter school objectives and benefits
- Ability to advocate for the school’s continued mission across internal and external constituency groups.
- Ability to use platforms like GuideStar to increase school visibility.
- Serve as a development officer in promoting the school, its fundraising projects and the promotional programs it sponsors.
- Make direct appeals for the annual fund of the school, primarily to major donors.
How to Apply
Please forward resume and cover letter to email@example.com.