Utopian Academy for the Arts
About Utopian Academy for the Arts High School
Utopian Academy for the Arts is an independent public charter school network serving elementary, middle, and (now) high school students and families throughout Clayton County, GA. The Utopian Academy for the Arts High School was approved by the Clayton County Public Schools System and will operate as a locally-approved charter school. By utilizing an industry specific hands-on approach to learning, the Utopian Academy for the Art High School students will develop an understanding and appreciation for the entertainment industry. Students will attain principles and practices of film and television media through partnerships with postsecondary institutions and employment opportunities with national and local film/television production companies. The Utopian Academy for the Arts Charter Network began in 2014 as a middle school, expanded to include elementary education in 2020, and now will offer a high school program, starting in 2022. The high school, which will initially serve 115 students in ninth and tenth grade, will grow a grade each year, eventually serving 515 students in ninth through twelfth grade in the 2024-25 school year.
Utilizing leadership, advocacy, and collaboration, the high school counselor promotes student success by providing preventive services and responding to identified needs through implementation of a comprehensive school counseling program that helps guide all learners in their academic success, personal and social development, and career and college planning.
- Implements a comprehensive guidance program for all students; conducts classroom guidance sessions related to personal, academic, and career development;
- Coordinates the transition of students in preparation for promotion to the next grade level;
- Implements programs with staff to support school activities and programs; implements strategies for improving the learning environment;
- Interprets test scores for parents and students relating to educational programs;
- Leads Student Support Team and 504 meetings to address students behavioral, academic and/or speech concerns;
- Consults/conferences with teachers and parents to address student concerns and needs; provides outside resources to parents/guardians indicating a need for emotional, family, economic, clothing, and/or medical support;
- Monitors student attendance to ensure students are attending school regularly; contacts students and parents concerning attendance issues and follows up with written contracts and attendance letters (Attendance Protocol Manager);
- Implements programs to foster positive relationships with families and students;
- Mediates student conflicts as first point of contact;
- Completes social worker referrals as needed;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree of Education School Counseling or related field of study;
- Two (2) years of professional school counseling and/or advisement experience;
- GA PSC School Counseling License/Certificate level S-5 or above;
- Understanding of Georgia high school requirements;
- Ability to read and understand high school transcripts;
- Agreement with and commitment to the academic goals and philosophy of Utopian Academy for the Arts;
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as a team of one;
- Superior written and oral communications skills;
- Demonstrated communication skills- Model correct use of language, oral and written;
- Regular budget meetings and accurate communication when needed with school leadership, governing board and state officials;
- Experience working in an urban setting and Charter school experience, highly desirable.
How to Apply
Application and materials should be submitted electronically by the priority deadline of February 6, 2023 to firstname.lastname@example.org “High School Counselor” should be labeled in the Subject Line of your message. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
- Completed Application for Employment including:
- Cover letter / letter of interest defining your strengths in your subject matter, including your experience with supporting a charter school, or arts integrated school. Please cite specific and measurable examples from your practice that make you a fit for our High School Counselor position.