Utopian Academy for the Arts
About Utopian Academy for the Arts High School
Utopian Academy for the Arts is an independent public charter school network serving elementary, middle, and (now) high school students and families throughout Clayton County, GA. The Utopian Academy for the Arts High School was approved by the Clayton County Public Schools System and operates as a locally-approved charter school. By utilizing an industry specific hands-on approach to learning, the Utopian Academy for the Art High School students will develop an understanding and appreciation for the entertainment industry. Students will attain principles and practices of film and television media through partnerships with postsecondary institutions and employment opportunities with national and local film/television production companies. The Utopian Academy for the Arts Charter Network began in 2014 as a middle school, expanded to include elementary education in 2020, and now will offer a high school program, starting in 2022. The high school, which will initially serve 250 students in ninth, tenth, and eleventh grade.
Our teachers are the heartbeat of our operations and academic ideologies at Utopian Academy for the Arts High School. More than any other variable in education— more than curriculum or supplies—our faculty and staff matter. Effective teachers who are continually learning and setting high expectations are the key to student academic achievement and success. At Utopian Academy for the Arts High School, we believe that students will rise to meet the high expectations set by our team of educators.
- Develop lesson plans that ensure the attainment of state learning standards and the additional specific grade-by-grade learning standards set forth in the charter;
- Coordinate lesson plans with other teachers to maximize possibilities for teaching similar topics in the same general time frame, thus reinforcing student knowledge on an interdisciplinary basis;
- Provide direct and indirect instruction;
- Long and short-term planning addressing individual needs of students;
- Prepare students adequately for all required assessments;
- Evaluate students’ progress;
- Prepare at least quarterly individual student achievement reports for parents;
- Provide an inviting, exciting, innovative, learning environment;
- Engage in effective and appropriate classroom management;
- Report directly to the Principal;
- Accept and incorporate feedback and coaching from administrative staff;
- Serve as an advisor to students, including organizing advisory groups, overseeing the academic and behavioral progress;
- Participate in Professional Learning Communities, Faculty Meetings, 504/IEP/Gifted Eligibility sessions, and Professional Development series.
- Perform other duties, as deemed appropriate, by the Principal.
- Bachelor’s degree from a 4-year, accredited college or university;
- Valid Georgia teaching certification or eligibility to obtain certification
- Demonstrated expertise in their subject matter and/or direct subject-area teaching experience
- Demonstrated communication skills- Model correct use of language, oral and written;
- Ability and experience to engage the interest of middle school-age children;
- Ability to work with diverse children, including those with special needs;
- Ability to be flexible and to work in a pleasant and cooperative manner
- Ability to work well with parents;
- Ability to work effectively as a team member;
- Ability to evaluate tests and measurements of achievement;
- Possess a high degree of professionalism and discretion;
- Demonstrated willingness to be held accountable for student’s results.
How to Apply
Application and materials should be submitted electronically by the priority deadline of Monday, April 3, 2023 to email@example.com “HS Faculty” should be labeled in the Subject Line of your message. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
- Completed Application for Employment including:
- Cover letter / letter of interest defining your strengths in your subject matter, including your experience with supporting a charter school, or arts integrated school. Please cite specific and measurable examples from your practice that make you a fit for our founding teacher position.