Amana Academy is seeking teachers with a sense of adventure and curiosity to work in a diverse, supportive and collaborative environment. Established in 2005, our demonstrated track record of empowering students to do more than they think possible has resulted in Amana being among the most well-regarded public charter schools in the state of Georgia.
We use the Harvard-based EL Education model as the foundation for our cross-curricular STEM program powered by design thinking. EL provides a holistic framework for measuring student success, placing as much emphasis on character development and quality craftsmanship as it does on academic achievement.
Our flagship campus is located in Alpharetta and is authorized by Fulton County Schools and the Georgia Department of Education. It is open to students in grades K-8 who reside in the Fulton County Schools district. Our new West Atlanta campus, opening in August 2022, is located in Mableton and is authorized by the State Charter Schools Commission. In its inaugural year it will serve students in grades K-3 residing in the state of Georgia. Both campuses are tuition free.
Job Location: West Atlanta Campus
Job Title: Paraprofessional
Reports To: Principal or Appointed Designee
Work Schedule: 190 Days, Full Time Exempt
Start Date: July 18, 2022
Doing Work That Matters
Paraprofessionals may serve in a classroom or media center. Incumbents in the Paraprofessional position are responsible for providing assistance to students and staff as indicated in the duties below related the individual’s assignment.
How You Will Empower Students to Go Beyond
- Assists the teacher in the preparation of educational materials for students
- Works individually with students and/or in small groups to help reinforce learning objectives
- Assists with all aspects of the daily routine, including distributing and collecting supplies, keeping attendance records, and grading quizzes as assigned
- Participates in lunchroom, recess, hall-monitoring, and bus duties
- Assists with preparing and maintaining bulletin boards and other learning centers areas for instruction
- Performs other duties as assigned by the appropriate administrator
What You Need to Succeed
- Education: High School Diploma or GED required; Must pass the GACE Paraprofessional Assessment with a minimum score of 250 within 1 year from Date of Hire, In lieu of the GACE, two (2) years (60 semester hours) of college coursework above the remedial level with a grade of “C” or better at a GaPSC-accepted accredited institution is acceptable
- Certification/Licensure: Must be able to attain a Georgia PSC Paraprofessional Certificate within one year of hire
- Experience: 0–1-year experience required
- Proven communication and instructional strategies
- Classroom management skills
- Excellent communication skills both orally and in writing
- Excellent organizational skills
How You Will Go Beyond
Working Conditions for Amana’s West Atlanta campus:
- Amana West is located on Girl Scout property at Camp Timber Ridge on 270 beautiful acres of land in Mableton, GA.
- Classes will be held inside pod-like modular buildings separated by grade.
- All specials are located in separate buildings that require a 5-15 min walk through the woods.
- School will at times operate in an outdoor setting in a variety of weather conditions.
- Staff must be comfortable teaching and leading students in both an indoor and outdoor setting.
- Staff must possess and demonstrate an innate comfort with flexibility and being able to adapt to new circumstances.
- Ability to lift and carry 30-50 pounds with assistance
- Ability to push or pull a maximum of 50 pounds
- May require stooping or crouching
How to Apply
IMPORTANT: Please follow this format for efficient consideration.
- Email email@example.com Be sure to put your LAST NAME and TEACHING POSITION you are applying for in the Subject line, e.g., “Smith Elementary Classroom Teacher”
- In the cover letter, indicate how your past experiences connect with EL Education principles (eleducation.org) and the Amana vision, mission and guiding principles (https://amanaacademy.org/about/vision-mission/).
- Attach your current resume