The R.I.S.E. Schools
The mission of The RISE Schools is to provide a rigorous and holistic education that develops the minds and character of scholars to be catalysts for social change.
Reporting to the Assistant Principal/ Dean of Academics, the Instructional Coach (IC) will provide instructional support and coaching to teachers as they work to ensure that each student is able to reach his or her academic potential. The IC’s primary role is to work with teachers to support best practices in using data, provide analysis of school-wide trends in instruction, and make recommendations about potential next steps to address areas of need. As an advisor to teachers and the leadership team, the IC is responsible for four main areas: a) observing instructional delivery and providing feedback to enhance and support the development of each teacher’s content area b) supporting teachers in the design of units and lessons for the development of their year-long curriculum, c) analyzing data in order to modify curriculum and forms of assessment to meet students’ needs, and d) working with the academic staff (grade level chairs, deans, principals) in the school to support the sharing of best practices. The IC will work collaboratively with the leadership team and teachers on developing instructional strategies and intervention programs for struggling students.
Major Responsibilities and Duties
The Instructional Coach will:
- Work with the AP/ Dean of Academics on the design and implementation of school-wide assessments data-driven instructional practices that improve student performance
- Observe teachers and provide specific strategies for improved instructional delivery
- Work with teachers and the school leadership team to create and improve aligned curriculum resources
- Collaborate with teachers in determining appropriate resources and support for teachers
- Support teachers by providing feedback on lessons and assessments that align with the appropriate standards and serve as an expert in national trends and best practices in curriculum development and instructional strategy for historically underachieving students.
- As a leader on the academic team, make recommendations on best practices for supporting curriculum alignment across all grade levels.
- Serve as a coach to teachers by providing expert advice on improving and enhancing individual lessons and units based on ongoing analysis. This will include, but is not limited to:
- Reviewing lesson plans, unit plans, and assessments
- Understanding scope and sequence models
- Observing classroom instruction and offering comprehensive analysis and feedback
- Providing instructional strategy best practice training, as needed
- Supporting the development of curriculum, using the backward design model and advising scope and sequence based on essential content knowledge that addresses local, state and national standards
- Education and Knowledge
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Master’s degree preferred
- 5 to 7 years of teaching experience
- Experience managing a team, coaching teachers and/or designing curriculum
- Strong behavior management skills
- Experience collaborating with team members and providing constructive and instructive feedback
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Articulate, professional demeanor with strong self-confidence and initiative
- Ability to work both on broad-based strategy and everyday details
- Ability to exercise excellent judgment in decision-making
- Ability to be flexible and adapt to changing priorities
- Ability to synthesize knowledge and present it to stakeholders in a comprehensive manner
- Ability to interpret policy, procedures, and data
- Independent, self-starter with a strong focus on student development
- Proven written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational and planning skills
- Possession of a passionate and loving attitude toward all children
- Responsiveness; Follow-up and follow-through with students, families, and faculty members is essential
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook)
How to Apply
Learn more about The RISE Schools.
July 31, 2022