Amana Academy is seeking teachers with a sense of adventure and curiosity to work in a diverse, supportive and collaborative environment. Established in 2005, our demonstrated track record of empowering students to do more than they think possible has resulted in Amana being among the most well-regarded public charter schools in the state of Georgia.
We use the Harvard-based EL Education model as the foundation for our cross-curricular STEM program powered by design thinking. EL provides a holistic framework for measuring student success, placing as much emphasis on character development and quality craftsmanship as it does on academic achievement.
Our flagship campus is located in Alpharetta and is authorized by Fulton County Schools and the Georgia Department of Education. It is open to students in grades K-8 who reside in the Fulton County Schools district. Our new West Atlanta campus, opening in August 2022, is located in Mableton and is authorized by the State Charter Schools Commission. In its inaugural year it will serve students in grades K-3 residing in the state of Georgia. Both campuses are tuition free.
Job Location: West Atlanta Campus
Job Title: Campus Security Associate
Reports To: Principal or Appointed Designee
Work Schedule: 190 Days, Full Time Exempt
Start Date: July 18, 2022
Doing Work That Matters
The Campus Security Associate supports and facilitates the educational process by providing a safe and secure environment through monitoring of activity and patrolling of the campus. The Security Associate must maintain visibility and vigilance while establishing a rapport with students and staff and must be able to make sound decisions in emergency and non-emergency situations.
How You Will Empower Students to Go Beyond
- Patrols assigned areas and ensured safety of school campus, checks for unauthorized personnel; checks for visitor and employee badges
- Works cooperatively with the local Police Department in relationship to campus security issues
- Serves as a visible and active security presence on campus dealing with students who present challenges as these students may require supervision and direction to make positive choices to further their educational opportunities
- Assists with monitoring student’s behavior on campus, in cafeterias, restrooms, parking lots and other open areas
- Assists with controlling disturbances or acts of defiance and requests assistance from school administration when necessary
- Assists the Administrative team with student disciplinary issues
- Participates in risk identification and provides preventive options to the administrative team
- Assists local law enforcement on crime prevention implementation
- Serves as a member of the campus safety team assisting with emergency preparedness drills, maintaining an emergency evacuation kit, providing input on the site-based safety plan and providing school safety training, etc.
- Assists in providing crowd control at extracurricular activities and special events, arranges additional coverage from School Police Officers as necessary
- Assists with security equipment, school safety assessments, etc.
- Maintains paperwork related to activities
- Performs other duties as assigned by the appropriate administrator
What You Need to Succeed
- Education: High School Diploma or GED required
- Certification/Licensure: Must hold or be able to obtain within 12 months of employment date: National Incident Certification
- Experience: 2+ years of related work experience required; previous law enforcement experience preferred
- Knowledge of Georgia DOE safety policies, Student Code of Conduct and School Safety Plan
- Ability to work with students and staff
- Ability to diffuse differences through conflict resolution
- Must be able to effectively communicate with both public and school personnel
How You Will Go Beyond
Working Conditions for Amana’s North Fulton campus:
- Amana’s flagship campus is located in a renovated shopping plaza, minutes from Alpharetta City Center and City Hall
- The building sits adjacent to 92-acre Wills Park, and teachers are expected to integrate this beautiful resource into daily activities, classroom instruction and expedition work where possible. Amenities include:
- Walking Trails
- An outdoor classroom
- Playgrounds and fields for recess
- Public art displays
- Staff must be comfortable teaching and leading students in both an indoor and outdoor setting.
- Staff must possess and demonstrate an innate comfort with flexibility and being able to adapt to new circumstances.
- Ability to lift and carry 30-50 pounds with assistance
- Ability to push or pull a maximum of 50 pounds
- May require stooping or crouching
How to Apply
IMPORTANT: Please follow this format for efficient consideration.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org Be sure to put your LAST NAME and TEACHING POSITION you are applying for in the Subject line, e.g., “Smith Elementary Classroom Teacher”
- In the cover letter, indicate how your past experiences connect with EL Education principles (eleducation.org) and the Amana vision, mission and guiding principles (https://amanaacademy.org/about/vision-mission/).
- Attach your current resume