Utopian Academy for the Arts
About Utopian Academy for the Arts:
Utopian Academy for the Arts is a free, high-performing, and growing public charter school network that serves elementary, middle, and high school students in metro Atlanta. Utopian’s theory of change is outlined in their mission statement: Through a structured and supportive environment, the Utopian Academy for the Arts will develop academic and artistic students to enter and to succeed in the global society, with proficiency to enroll in a college, university or specialty school of their choice. Since 2013, our educational model has leveraged the positive effects of arts education to engage and inspire students, develop their academic and artistic potential, and prepare them to be leaders in their communities.
About the Social Emotional Learning Counselor
The Social Emotional Learning Counselor will be responsible for the social emotional wellness of the school building and the transition support of students from primary level to secondary level. The SEL Counselor will utilize Social Emotional Learning (SEL) standards across the academic and career domains with students’ intervention strategies. The SEL Counselor will also support students across the continuum with RTI and MTSS. This support includes but is not limited to one-on-one support, art therapy integration, group work, classroom and teacher support, and collaborative problem solving with both prevention and intervention models.
- Therapeutic counseling services implementation
- Establish and maintain strong, accountable relationships with all scholars who receive therapeutic counseling
- Determine the appropriate goals for scholars using observation and data collection
- Lead therapeutic sessions with scholars in various grades in both the individual and small group setting
- Collaborate with UAFA stakeholders to share scholar progress and to suggest strategies for supporting all scholars
- Manage the counseling referrals received from UAFA staff and families, including sending, receiving, and tracking the consents for counseling for each scholar
- Manage the scheduling of all services for scholars on the caseload
- Manage the communication with scholars’ families regarding entry/progress/exit within the counseling program
- Track the progress towards individual and small group therapeutic goals with daily data collection
- Manage and maintain the department specific data tracking systems and dashboards, including session attendance, session and meeting notes, etc.
- Assist with administration of standardized testing
- Provide support to the entire UAFA community as an integral part of the Crisis Response Team
- Serve and support UAFA staff and scholars as one of the school’s designated reporters, including completing DFCS reports as necessary
- Conduct home visits for UAFA scholars, as required
- Perform other duties, as deemed appropriate, by the Executive Director
- BA/BS Degree
- Master’s Degree in school counseling required
- Experience and demonstrated ability in working with children in a teaching, counseling or other applicable capacity;
- Knowledge of counseling strategies to promote esteem, shared character traits, and motivation
- Demonstrated communication skills- Model correct use of language, oral and written
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse children, including those with special needs
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as a team member
How to Apply
Application and materials should be submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org “Social Emotional Learning Counselor” should be labeled in the Subject Line of your message. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
- Completed Application for Employment including:
- Cover letter / letter of interest defining your strengths in your subject matter, including your experience with supporting a charter school, or arts integrated school. Please cite specific and measurable examples from your practice that make you a fit for our Social Emotional Learning Counselor position