Amana Academy is seeking teachers with a sense of adventure and curiosity to work in a diverse, supportive and collaborative environment. Established in 2005, our demonstrated track record of empowering students to do more than they think possible has resulted in Amana being among the most well-regarded public charter schools in the state of Georgia.
We use the Harvard-based EL Education model as the foundation for our cross-curricular STEM program powered by design thinking. EL provides a holistic framework for measuring student success, placing as much emphasis on character development and quality craftsmanship as it does on academic achievement.
Our flagship campus is located in Alpharetta and is authorized by Fulton County Schools and the Georgia Department of Education. It is open to students in grades K-8 who reside in the Fulton County Schools district. Our new West Atlanta campus, opening in August 2022, is located in Mableton and is authorized by the State Charter Schools Commission. In its inaugural year it will serve students in grades K-3 residing in the state of Georgia. Both campuses are tuition free.
Job Location: North Fulton Campus
Job Title: Special Education Teacher
Reports To: Principal or Appointed Designee
Work Schedule: 190 Days, Full Time Exempt
Start Date: July 18, 2022
Doing Work That Matters
Embracing the EL Education framework, Amana Academy teachers provide classroom instruction that is active, engaging, challenging, and meaningful, and that enables students to demonstrate mastery of the Georgia Performance Standards. Amana teachers should have a sense of adventure and curiosity and a desire to work in a diverse, supportive and collaborative environment.
How You Will Empower Students to Go Beyond
- The Special Education Teachers provide instruction for students with disabilities that supports learning and increases student achievement.
- Under the direction of the Director of Special Education, the licensed Special Education Teacher develops and provides specialized instruction to meet the needs of students with disabilities; evaluates and assesses student progress against instructional objectives; follows State mandated due process procedures and functions as IEP Manager to assigned students.
- Develops or selects and modifies lessons and materials to meet individual student needs
- Utilizes special methodology for instruction to support student progress using GPS standards
- Develops, implements, monitors, and reviews the Individualized Education Program (IEP) for each student on the caseload
- Addresses the unique needs students in caseload, i.e., lifting and positioning moderately intellectually disabled students
- Administers evaluations of student progress on an on-going basis and maintains appropriate records
- Follows due process procedures for all referred and eligible students with disabilities
- Meets expectations according to the general education teacher job description
- Works with parents/guardians in all aspects of the student’s educational program
- Facilitates home-school communication by such means as holding conferences, telephoning, and sending written communications
- Uses technology to support instruction
- Serves as a resource to general education faculty, administrators, and related services personnel
- Performs other duties as assigned by the appropriate administrator
What You Need to Succeed
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree from a regionally accredited university required
- Certification/Licensure: Valid Georgia Teaching Certification in Special Education for this position
- Experience: 2+ years of classroom experience preferred
- Proven communication and instructional strategies
- Classroom management skills
- Excellent communication skills both orally and in writing
- Excellent organizational skills
How You Will Go Beyond
Working Conditions for Amana’s North Fulton campus:
- Amana’s flagship campus is located in a renovated shopping plaza, minutes from Alpharetta City Center and City Hall
- The building sits adjacent to 92-acre Wills Park, and teachers are expected to integrate this beautiful resource into daily activities, classroom instruction and expedition work where possible. Amenities include:
- Walking Trails
- An outdoor classroom
- Playgrounds and fields for recess
- Public art displays
- Staff must be comfortable teaching and leading students in both an indoor and outdoor setting.
- Staff must possess and demonstrate an innate comfort with flexibility and being able to adapt to new circumstances.
- Ability to lift and carry 30-50 pounds with assistance
- Ability to push or pull a maximum of 50 pounds
- May require stooping or crouching
How to Apply
IMPORTANT: Please follow this format for efficient consideration.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org Be sure to put your LAST NAME and TEACHING POSITION you are applying for in the Subject line, e.g., “Smith Elementary Classroom Teacher”
- In the cover letter, indicate how your past experiences connect with EL Education principles (eleducation.org) and the Amana vision, mission and guiding principles (https://amanaacademy.org/about/vision-mission/).
- Attach your current resume