Amana Academy is seeking teachers with a sense of adventure and curiosity to work in a diverse, supportive and collaborative environment. Established in 2005, our demonstrated track record of empowering students to do more than they think possible has resulted in Amana being among the most well-regarded public charter schools in the state of Georgia.
We use the Harvard-based EL Education model as the foundation for our cross-curricular STEM program powered by design thinking. EL provides a holistic framework for measuring student success, placing as much emphasis on character development and quality craftsmanship as it does on academic achievement.
Our flagship campus is located in Alpharetta and is authorized by Fulton County Schools and the Georgia Department of Education. It is open to students in grades K-8 who reside in the Fulton County Schools district. Our new West Atlanta campus, opening in August 2022, is located in Mableton and is authorized by the State Charter Schools Commission. In its inaugural year it will serve students in grades K-3 residing in the state of Georgia. Both campuses are tuition free.
Job Location: West Atlanta Campus
Job Title: STEM Teacher
Reports To: Principal or Appointed Designee
Work Schedule: 190 Days, Full Time Exempt
Start Date: July 18, 2022
Doing Work That Matters
Embracing the EL Education framework, Amana Academy teachers provide classroom instruction that is active, engaging, challenging, and meaningful, and that enables students to demonstrate mastery of the Georgia Performance Standards. Amana teachers should have a sense of adventure and curiosity and a desire to work in a diverse, supportive and collaborative environment.
How You Will Empower Students to go Beyond
- Provides content-related and appropriate instruction based on Amana Academy’s curriculum
- Provides classroom environment which promotes active learning in subject area
- Exhibits knowledge of performance-based instruction, assessment, and data analysis
- Communicates responsibly and effectively with students, parents, colleagues, and school leadership
- Accounts for student attendance and punctuality
- Follows all school, county, state, and federal policies and procedures
- Follows professional ethics in all work-related activities
- Prepares adequately for responsibilities to be assumed when absent
- Works with parents/guardians in all aspects of the student’s educational program
- Facilitates home-school communication by such means as holding conferences, telephoning, and sending written communications
- Integrates appropriate technology into classroom instruction
- Avoids behaviors which detract from staff morale
- Performs other duties as assigned by the appropriate administrator
What You Need to Succeed
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree from a regionally accredited university required
- Certification/Licensure: Valid Georgia Teaching Certification in applicable field required, or must be eligible to hold a valid Georgia Teaching Certificate
- Teaching certification must be held in the state of Georgia or have active reciprocity with Georgia. Please visit or call the Georgia Professional Standards Commission to verify.
- Experience in a progressive, constructivist, and/or gifted education setting is desired. STEM-based, STEAM-based, and/or project-based learning (PBL) experience is preferred.
- Preference will be given to teachers with 3 or more years of demonstrated excellence in teaching.
How You Will Go Beyond
Working Conditions for Amana’s West Atlanta campus:
- Amana West is located on Girl Scout property at Camp Timber Ridge on 270 beautiful acres of land in Mableton, GA.
- Classes will be held inside pod-like modular buildings separated by grade.
- All specials are located in separate buildings that require a 5-15 min walk through the woods.
- School will at times operate in an outdoor setting in a variety of weather conditions.
- Staff must be comfortable teaching and leading students in both an indoor and outdoor setting.
- Staff must possess and demonstrate an innate comfort with flexibility and being able to adapt to new circumstances.
- Ability to lift and carry 30-50 pounds with assistance
- Ability to push or pull a maximum of 50 pounds
- May require stooping or crouching
How to Apply
IMPORTANT: Please follow this format for efficient consideration.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org Be sure to put your LAST NAME and TEACHING POSITION you are applying for in the Subject line, e.g., “Smith Elementary Classroom Teacher”
- In the cover letter, indicate how your past experiences connect with EL Education principles (eleducation.org) and the Amana vision, mission and guiding principles (https://amanaacademy.org/about/vision-mission/).
- Attach your current resume