Utopian Academy for the Arts
Desired State Date: July 2022
About Utopian Academy for the Arts:
Utopian Academy for the Arts is a free, high-performing, and growing public charter school network that serves elementary, middle, and high school students in metro Atlanta. Utopian’s theory of change is outlined in their mission statement: Through a structured and supportive environment, the Utopian Academy for the Arts will develop academic and artistic students to enter and to succeed in the global society, with proficiency to enroll in a college, university, or specialty school of their choice. Since 2013, our educational model has leveraged the positive effects of arts education to engage and inspire students, develop their academic and artistic potential, and prepare them to be leaders in their communities.
About the Business Development Manager
Utopian Academy for the Arts is seeking a Business Development Manager to serve as a key founding member of a new scaling and growth effort. The Business Development Manager will join the new scaling and growth team to nurture the entrepreneurial energy and spirit of innovation in our portfolio and the broader charter sector by leading our efforts to develop schools in which our network will serve students. The scaling and growth team will support new ideas for the Utopian Academy for the Arts portfolio to help expand impact on students who have been traditionally underserved in K-12 education. The Business Development Manager will help us by creating new solutions and tools for and with them; and supporting focused action-oriented research that informs new efforts we might pursue. While prior professional educational experience is not a requirement, we are looking for candidates who are passionate about and committed to K-12 education reform.
- Independently drive the identification of new opportunities of charter school growth on behalf of Utopian Academy for the Arts
- Develop charter petitions for new schools, charter school-districts, and/or CMOs based on key success factors and partnership fit aligned to regional and network vision for growing Utopian Academy for the Arts’ impact.
- Manage and conduct due diligence on Innovation/R&D grant opportunities for prospective schools to be developed in the Utopian Academy for the Arts portfolio
- Conduct due diligence on organizations offering new tools and solutions in service of charter schools, including analysis and evaluation of financial models, initial product-market fit, product feasibility, market dynamics and potential, leadership teams, and business plans
- Study and research current economic and business model literature to synthesize into an original perspective of current and future education solutions and tools trends
- Make scaling and growth recommendations that receive the support of the CEO and governance board
- Build strong, trusting relationships across Utopian’s various teams and with leadership of prospective investments
- Represent Utopian Academy for the Arts at conferences, and where strategically aligned, serve as a convener, facilitating workgroups and meetings to engage stakeholders.
- Partner with executive leadership team to negotiate proposals and contracts that ensure organizational growth aligned with strategic objectives.
- Regularly attends scheduled Georgia Department of Education, local and Boards of Education monthly meetings,
- Evidenced entrepreneur mindset and professional experiences
- 3+ years business development/sales experience in the education field and/or 3+ years working in the charter school space (for the latter, with or without a business development or sales role)
- Desire to represent and be part of a growing, premier charter school network, and to succeed in helping Utopian Academy for the Arts scale and grow public charter schools
- Personality and drive to excel in a business development role
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and relationship-building skills
- Incredible organizational skills and detail-oriented
- Commitment to maintaining Utopian’s reputation as a high-performing charter school network
- Existing network of charter school leaders or influencers in any of the following geographical communities: Atlanta, Athens-Clark County, Macon-Bibb County, and Savannah-Chatham County
- Marketing skills: newsletters, blogging, social media, creating handouts and case studies
- Public speaking and presenting experience: conferences, panel talks, and regional meetings
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Management, Marketing, or related field.
- Previous experience in sales and leading a successful sales team.
- Experience working with customer relationship management systems.
- Computer literacy to use required business tools (Google Suite, Salesforce, HUBSPOT).
- Ability to travel approximately 50-60% of time.
- Prior experience in the education landscape preferred, but not required.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as a team member
How to Apply
Application and materials should be submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org “Business Development Manager” should be labeled in the Subject Line of your message. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
- Completed Application for Employment including:
- Cover letter / letter of interest defining your strengths in your subject matter, including your experience with supporting a charter school, or arts integrated school. Please cite specific and measurable examples from your practice that make you a fit for our Business Development Manager position