Utopian Academy for the Arts
Desired Start Date: July 2022
About Utopian Academy for the Arts:
Utopian Academy for the Arts is a free, high-performing, and growing public charter school network that serves elementary, middle, and high school students in metro Atlanta. Utopian’s theory of change is outlined in their mission statement: Through a structured and supportive environment, the Utopian Academy for the Arts will develop academic and artistic students to enter and to succeed in the global society, with proficiency to enroll in a college, university or specialty school of their choice. Since 2013, our educational model has leveraged the positive effects of arts education to engage and inspire students, develop their academic and artistic potential, and prepare them to be leaders in their communities.
About the School Design Developer
Utopian Academy for the Arts is seeking a School Design Developer to serve as a key founding member of a new scaling and growth effort. The School Design Developer will join the new scaling and growth team to nurture the entrepreneurial energy and spirit of innovation in our portfolio and the broader charter sector by leading our efforts to develop schools in which our network will serve students. The scaling and growth team will support new ideas from the Utopian Academy for the Arts portfolio to help expand impact on students who have been traditionally underserved in K-12 education. The School Design Developer will help us by designing innovative educational models that will support the needs of the students we seek to serve, while addressing economic gaps and professional industry demands. As a critical member of our scaling and growth team, the School Design Developer will be an innovative, results-driven leader who brings a deep understanding of education to devise and manage design enhancements to our rigorous and progressive program that will prepare students with the academic, artistic, communication, and critical thinking skills necessary to flourish throughout their K-12 educational careers as well as in and beyond college.
- Designing and implementing the vision and framework for future educational models and programs offered by Utopian Academy for the Arts
- Set expectations for school design strategy across markets identified by scaling and growth team and operationalize those strategies
- Assess strategy effectiveness, partnering with the Business Development Team to evaluate changes.
- Lead ongoing shifts to strategy based on community needs, ensuring Utopian Academy for the Arts is able to design efforts effectively to meet those needs
- Understand & be able to communicate clearly regarding the K-12 educational landscape in metro Atlanta and other selected markets in Georgia; what is required in desired communities for scaling and growth and other implications for assessments- to ensure cohesion across the network as assessment decisions are made
- Works alongside the Business Development Team to address, design, and to incubate training and employment pipeline for the local industries represented in communities where Utopian Academy for the Arts seeks to scale and grow
- Works closely with Utopian Academy network leadership and school-based instructional leadership teams to replicate and facilitate innovation and ensure to K-12 alignment
- Study and research current education literature to synthesize into an original perspective of current and future education solutions and tools trends
- Build strong, trusting relationships across Utopian’s various teams and with leadership of prospective investments
- Represent Utopian Academy for the Arts at conferences, and where strategically aligned, serve as a convener, facilitating workgroups and meetings to engage stakeholders.
- Evidenced entrepreneur mindset and professional experiences
- Prior teaching experience/school leadership, and a solid understanding of school design and curriculum development
- Desire to represent and be part of a growing, premier charter school network, and to succeed in helping Utopian Academy for the Arts scale and grow public charter schools
- Personality and drive to excel in a business development role
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and relationship-building skills
- Incredible organizational skills and detail-oriented
- Commitment to maintaining Utopian’s reputation as a high-performing charter school network
- Existing network of charter school leaders or influencers in any of the following: Atlanta, Athens-Clark County, Macon-Bibb County, and Savannah-Chatham County
- Public speaking and presenting experience: conferences, panel talks, and regional meetings
- Bachelor’s degree
- Master’s degree preferred
- Ability to travel approximately 50-60% of time
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as a team member
How to Apply
Application and materials should be submitted electronically to email@example.com. “School Design Developer” should be labeled in the Subject Line of your message. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
- Completed Application for Employment including:
- Cover letter / letter of interest defining your strengths in your subject matter, including your experience with supporting a charter school, or arts integrated school. Please cite specific and measurable examples from your practice that make you a fit for our School Design Developer position