CharterStart is a comprehensive and targeted training program that offers technical and hands-on assistance to those interested in starting high quality charter schools in Georgia.
CharterStart supports potential charter school operators, as they move through the petitioning process (specific to the laws and rules of Georgia). This program is designed to support and guide participants at all stages from conception to implementation. CharterStart has been developed in conjunction with GCSA’s Quality School Standards.
CharterStart training is offered in two formats:
CharterStart Total Program includes a comprehensive two-day workshop that covers a variety of topics including:
- Petitioning Process
- School Design
- Working with an Education Service Provider
- Academic Program Development
- Special Populations
- Funding and Financial Stability
- Student Admissions and Recruitment
- Partnership and Community Development
This option is perfect for groups who extra support through the entire development and authorization process. The next workshop is tentatively scheduled for one Saturday in April 2018 and another Saturday in May 2018. The dates will be finalized soon. The cost of this option is $1000.00 per group, with a maximum of five participants per group.
CharterStart a la Carte allows groups to select from a number of individual training modules as well as other services such as petition review, mock interviews, and consulting services. This option is perfect for groups needed specific training and development support.
Interested in Starting?
Those interested in CharterStart must complete several preliminary steps prior to acceptance into the program:
- Complete the contact information at the bottom of this page
- Become a GCSA member
- Provide GCSA with an executive summary of your school plan which includes:
- Mission, vision, educational philosophy, targeted attendance zone, targeted student population, school focus/features, evidence of need and academic/organizational innovation
- Research: Demographics of the targeted attendance zone/student population; academic achievement; and school options in the area
- Thoroughly read the state statutes pertaining to charter schools, as well as state board rules pertaining to charter schools
- These may be found on the Department of Education’s website
- Also, review the state’s charter petition requirements found on this site, as well as the district and/or Commission’s petitioning requirements and timelines;
- Establish a founding board with a minimum of 5 independent participants from diverse backgrounds
- Meet with the local school district (charter liaison if one is available) to inform them of your plans and to gain feedback and establish a relationship
- Obtain founding group governance training through GCSA
- Register with the Secretary of State as a Georgia Non-Profit.
- Optional: Begin application for 501(c)(3) status
For more information about the program, Please email Jeff Homan, GCSA’s Director of Education and Training.