Dekalb Preparatory Academy
Mission: DeKalb Preparatory Academy is the diverse community where teachers, children, parents, and leaders learn together. Students cultivate knowledge and learn to think critically and act collaboratively and compassionately.
Our experiential curriculum intertwines sciences, humanities, and the arts to prepare children to shape our world.
We believe in our responsibility to partner with parents, creating an ideal environment in which students will have the opportunity to:
- Strive for academic excellence.
- Explore a diverse curriculum.
- Prepare to succeed in a global environment.
- Provide service to a growing community.
- Participate in character education, developing a respect for others through exemplary mentorship.
- Experience cooperative educational communities in all content areas from fine arts to technology.
- Develop students into life-long learners
The following duties are representative for this position. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the classification if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment for this classification. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Teach knowledge and skills in art, including drawing, painting, lettering, and art history,
- Provide instruction by which students develop aesthetic concepts and appreciations and the ability to make qualitative judgments about art
- Demonstrate techniques in activities such as drawing and painting
- Understand the versatility of acrylic paints: dry brushing, staining, layering, underpainting
- Understand a variety of “masters” techniques
- Knows and can apply elements of design and modern principles of art
- Knows the fundamentals and different approaches to drawing media technique
- Provide individual and small-group instruction to adapt the curriculum to the needs of students with varying intellectual and artistic abilities, and to accommodate a variety of instructional activities
- Instruct students in proper care and use of tools and equipment
- Organize storage areas and control use of materials, equipment and tools to prevent loss or abuse, and to minimize time required for distribution and collection
- Evaluate each student’s performance and growth in knowledge and aesthetic understandings, and prepare progress reports
- Select and requisition books, instructional materials, tools, instructional aids, and maintain required inventory records
- Plan and present art displays and exhibitions designed to exhibit students’ work for the school and the community
- May sponsor exhibits from outside the school
- Maintain professional competence through in-service education activities provided by the school and/or in self-selected professional growth activities
- Communicate with parents and school counselors on pupil progress
- Participate in curriculum and other developmental programs, such as after school art club
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by Administration
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree from a Professional Standards Commission approved accredited college or university in relevant educational field required.
Certificates, Licenses, Permits:
- Valid Professional Standards Commission approved certificate in appropriate educational field at level T-4 or above required.
- Valid Professional Standards Commission approved subject-specific endorsements required.
- 100% employer paid health, dental and vision insurance
- Employer contribution into TRSGA retirement program for employee
- Competitive salary range
- Paid vacation/sick leave
How to Apply
Submit Resumes: firstname.lastname@example.org