Georgia Connections Academy
Georgia Connections Academy is a tuition-free, full-time virtual school for students in grades K-12 throughout Georgia. The school is authorized by the Georgia Charter Schools Commission and governed by an independent Board of Directors, with a mission to maximize academic achievement for students who are seeking other academic options. The school is operated by Georgia Connections Academy, a nonprofit corporation, through a contract with Connections Academy of Georgia, LLC, to provide its educational program and other services. Connections Academy, a division of Connections Education, is accredited by AdvancED, and GACA is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges & Schools Council on Accreditation and School Improvement.
Georgia Connections Academy strives to create an inclusive environment that welcomes and values the diversity of the people we serve. We foster fairness, equity, and inclusion to create a workplace environment where everyone is treated with respect and dignity.
Position Summary and Responsibilities
Working from our office in Duluth, Georgia, or from your home in Georgia, the Math Special Education Teacher will “virtually” manage instructional programs for students with special needs. Through use of the telephone, Internet and various curriculum tools they will consult regularly with learning coaches and students to ensure that each child successfully completes his/her instructional program. The Special Education Teacher will participate in all steps of the IEP process. They will work closely with other teachers and district professionals to ensure that the school’s special education program is successful and operating in compliance with federal and state regulations. The Math Special Education Teacher will utilize technology to deliver virtual instruction.
The Math Special Education Teacher will be responsible for the successful completion of the following tasks:
- Manage and provide instructional guidance, virtual teaching and general strategies for a caseload of students;
- Develop, write and help implement IEPs;
- Evaluate tests and assessments, complete report cards and conduct parent conferences;
- Communicate regularly with parents/learning coaches of students with special needs to insure that their IEP goals are being met, and that their needs are addressed in a timely and appropriate fashion;
- Consult with teachers and coordinate the implementation of specially designed instruction as defined in the IEP regarding students with specific needs and potential learning issues;
- Provide direct services to students including services delivered through web-conferencing software, as needed;
- Schedule, organize and conduct IEP related meetings in a virtual environment, as needed;
- Participate in the school’s Student Support Team; help teachers and learning coaches develop and implement program modifications and strategies for all students;
- Assist, as needed, with the organization and proper implementation of all paperwork, documentation and procedures for the IEP process;
- Assist with locating service providers for students needing related services as mandated by their IEPs;
- Assist with negotiating and executing contracts with service providers for students requiring such services;
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date data in the school’s Learning Management System and special education software;
- Assist with administering state testing and coordinate the special adaptations that are required based on the IEP; and
- Other duties as assigned.
- Degree in Special Education or related Education Field
- Valid Georgia Special Education certification
- Experience in policy (IDEA) and/or administration with Special Education
- Strong technology skills (especially with Microsoft Office products)
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Customer focused approach
- High degree of flexibility
- Demonstrated ability to work well in fast paced environment
- Team player track record
- Willingness to travel on occasion for marketing and state testing events (may require occasional overnight travel)
How to Apply
To apply, send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.