NOTICE to all NEW Governing Board Members of Locally-Approved Charter Schools ONLY
[NOTE that this email does NOT apply to College and Career Academy governing boards, State Charter School governing boards, Charter System Local School Governance Teams, or Local Boards of Education.]
Per State Board Rule, the three (3) hours of Financial Governance Training that new charter school board members must receive within their first year of service (the 12 months beginning on their first day as a charter school board member) can only be delivered by the Finance and Budget Office of the Georgia Department of Education. New governing board members have the following options for receiving this training.
- The Department of Education offers the required Financial Governance Training in late September each year at the Georgia Department of Education, 205 Jesse Hill Jr. Drive, SE, Atlanta, GA 30334. This session is especially geared to local charter school governing board members. There is no cost for this training.
- The date and time for our 2019 Financial Governance Training Session is Wednesday, September 25, 2019, from 8:00-11:00 a.m. in Training Rooms A-C on the 10th floor of the West Tower and also by webinar.
- If you would like to sign up to attend our September 25th session either in person or by webinar, please enter all requested information in the attached sign-up sheet and email it to Latoya Satterwhite at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Georgia School Boards Association (GSBA) also offers the required Financial Governance Training as part of the New Board Member Orientation it presents twice each year for new local Board of Education members.
- The GSBA Fall 2019 session of GSBA’s New Board Member Orientation is tentatively set for November 19-20, 2019. Registration will open soon. Please check at https://gsba.com/board-development/ for more information when it becomes available.
- Please note that you need attend only the Financial Governance Training portion of GSBA’s two-day session to meet your legal obligation. GSBA has a special reduced rate for charter school governing board members who attend only the Financial Governance Training session.
- Ms. Martha White at GSBA can help you with registration once it opens up. Her email address is email@example.com.
Please note that these are the only opportunities for new charter school board members to receive their mandatory FBO-provided financial governance training; please also note that this training requirement cannot be waived.