by Georgia Charter Schools Association
The 2020 Georgia Primary Election will be held Tuesday, June 9, 2020. Georgians will have the opportunity to vote for candidates in the Presidential Primary. They will also have the ability to select candidates in state and local races that could have a major impact on their daily lives.
GCSA developed a questionnaire that addresses some of the most important issues facing our public charter school students, educators, and parents. We invited all State House and State Senate Primary candidates to complete the questionnaire and share their position on these matters. While we received only 24 responses, we are very appreciative of the candidates who took the time to share their positions on charter schools and give insight into the important issues we work on at the state Capitol.
Before casting your ballots in person or via mail, please follow this link to read their full responses and be informed about where candidates stand on public charter schools. You can follow this link to find your polling location.
Below are some highlights from the surveys. These results, from 12 Republican and 12 Democratic Candidates, are very encouraging as they show strong support for our public charter schools!
- 92% have a favorable view of charter schools
- 87.5% believe charter schools should receive funding and resources equal to traditional public schools
- 92% support facilities funding for charter schools
- 87.5% support expansion of more high-quality charter schools by providing funding in the budget
- 100% support funding transparency by district authorizers
- 92% believe Boards of Education should ensure fair funding and oversight of locally approved charters