by Michelle Wirth
Students at Peachtree Charter Middle School in Dunwoody have turned a school garden into a community outreach project that helps those in need.
- Foothills Education Charter High School (FECHS) completed its first semester of operation at its newest location, the Baldwin College and Career Academy.
- Furlow Charter School in Americus has a long waiting list of students who wish to enroll in the school.
- UGA and other schools look to sign Hapeville Charter cornerback William Poole.
- The Sandy Springs Education Force will host its sixth annual STEAM showcase at North Springs Charter School
- State and local officials approve Macon Charter Academy’s plan to enter into a contract with Prestige Charter School Solutions.
- Latin Academy board members are considering whether to close the school following alleged financial mismanagement of the school’s founder.
- The board for Latin Academy has approved a 30-day delay on the vote to potentially close the school.
- Latin Academy parents have started a fundraising effort to try and prevent the charter school from closing.
- WMAZ in Macon looks at what separates successful charter schools from those that fail.
- The Atlanta Journal Constitution examines whether a turnaround plan for several struggling schools in the Atlanta Public School District will work.
- The Associated Press reports charter school backers are asking for charter schools to be exempt from placement in the Opportunity School District, a statewide takeover district proposed by Gov. Nathan Deal. Charter supporters say charter schools already face closure if they don’t live up to their contracts with local or state authorizers. Angela Palm with the Georgia School Boards Association says they are public schools and should not be exempt if voters approve the Opportunity School District.
- Brookhaven Innovation Academy is accepting online applications for its upcoming lottery.
- Congressman Hank Johnson gives his thoughts on charter schools and the Opportunity School District.