by Michelle Wirth
Amana Academy made Niche’s 2016 Best Public Elementary Schools in Georgia list.
- Drew Charter School recently held a ceremony to honor its namesake.
- Coweta Charter Academy at Senoia (CCAS) elementary academic team got second at the regional Academic Bowl.
- Gov. Deal says several struggling schools in the Atlanta Public School system are likely to avoid being placed in the Opportunity School District if a school turnaround plan that involves charter school operators is approved. Voters will have a say on the Opportunity School District in November.
- House Bill 659 requires local boards of education and charter school to put their expenditure information online.
- Hutchings College and Career Academy is holding an open house for prospective students
- Chamblee Charter High School is one of 12 DeKalb County Schools placed on the Georgia Department of Education’s Advanced Honors List
- A STEAM Exhibit held at North Springs Charter High School attracts 1,500 people
- The Atlanta Board of Education approves a turnaround plan for a number of struggling schools. The plan includes hiring charter school operators to oversee several schools.
- Opinion: the AJC’s Kyle Wingfield says the Opportunity School District plan put forward by Gov. Nathan Deal is already working.
- A number of parents protest APS’ school turnaround plan in front of former Atlanta Mayor Shirley Franklin’s house.
- Atlanta Classical Academy seeks expansion, but some nearby residents worry the proposed improvements will cause traffic backups and other potential issues.
- Latin Academy students continue to raise money in hopes of keeping their school open.
- According to the AJC’s Ty Tagami, a newly amended state bill that continues to count test scores as part of a teacher’s overall evaluation now includes charter schools.