by Georgia Charter Schools Association
GA House passes Governor Deal’s Opportunity School District plan, unleashing a tidal wave of reporting and opinion. Also this week, Dick Yarbrough, now a member of Governor’s Education Reform Commission, praises the its work in an Op Ed that gets wide pickup across the state.
- Long and thoughtful analysis of all the flexibility options facing Savannah Chatham school board, which already authorizes several charter schools.
- Clarke County announces Foothills, a new HS charter option for students who are not succeeding in traditional schoolsin the Athens area. Foothills is also featured on YouTube.com. School is lauded in Op Ed in Online Athens, a paper not traditionally supportive of charter schools.
- Op Eds on the proposed Opportunity School District: nay from Kenneth Fuller in Rome News Tribune, who calls it a return to “separate but equal” schools. Yay from Peach Pundit’s Charlie Harper, who counters that income inequality begins with unequal education options. In Savannah, local writer urges a “no” for the OSD. Athens area writer also criticizes the measure.
- In another surprising Op Ed, popular Georgia columnist Dick Yarbrough, now appointed to serve on the Governor’s Education Reform Commission, says the Commission will bring improvement to public education in Georgia. This Op Ed gets wide distribution across Georgia.
- Atlanta’s alternative newsweekly, Creative Loafing, runs a surprisingly positive story on APS’ decision to choose the Charter District flexibility option.
- GCSA’s Andrew Lewis updates CharterConfidential readers about the progress of charter-related legislation that has survived Crossover Day.
- Georgia Charter Schools Association announces monthly governance training webinars, to begin in July.
- Macon Telegraph gives good press to new Macon Charter Academy study which claims that the school can pump millions into Middle Georgia’s economy.
- AJC’s Maureen Downey, in her Get Schooled blog, runs several reactions to the passage of the OSD: From Paul Vallas, former Supt. of Louisiana’s Recovery School District, approval.
- AJC Political columnist Jim Galloway praises Governor’s skill in assuring passage of the OSD.
- Associated Press reporting on the passage of the OSD is generally positive and gets distribution across the nation.
- CharterConfidential runs a story on A Day in the Life of an Online Charter School Teacher.