by Michelle Wirth
A new study by researchers at Georgia State University finds graduates of charter high schools are more likely to stay in college and earn more than graduates of traditional schools.
- Atlanta Neighborhood Charter School received some recognition for its sustainability efforts.
- Brookhaven Innovation Academy plans to open in Norcross.
- The State Charter Schools Commission voted to renew the charter for Charter Conservatory for Liberal Arts (CCAT) in Statesboro.
- The State has started the process of closing Macon Charter Academy.
- Fulton Academy of Science and Technology (FAST) in Roswell has a waiting list of 140 students before its scheduled opening in August.
- The current principal at Fernbank Elementary School in DeKalb County is leaving to head an area charter school.
- DeKalb County School Superintendent Steve Green highlights district schools with a Science, Technology, Engineering and Math programs, including Chesnut Charter Elementary School.
- Alisha Morgan, executive director of Ivy Preparatory Academies, will take part in a Capitol Hill briefing next week on education choices for minorities.
- Atlanta Public Schools Superintendent Meria Carstarphen discusses her school turnaround plan, which calls for bringing in a number of charter operators to oversee several district schools, in AJC opinion columnist Maureen Downey’s blog.