by Guest Author
T-Mobile’s EmpowerED™ Program aims to narrow America’s homework gap by providing off-campus devices and data plans to students at eligible schools and districts.
Many families in the U.S. don’t have high-speed Internet at home. This problem is called the Digital Divide. But to succeed academically and compete in today’s digital world, every student needs equal access to online learning. Without this access, disconnected students can fall behind their wired peers, creating the Homework Gap.
Mobile access has the power to close the Homework Gap. T-Mobile plans to narrow the divide with EmpowerED™, a program that provides wireless devices and service plans to help students and schools succeed.
EmpowerED Mobile Equipment includes:
- Free mobile Internet devices ranging in value from $80 to $200; or
- A subsidy of up to $200 per mobile Internet device, for devices over $200.
EmpowerED Mobile Data Plans include:
Two-year contracts for one of the following discounted education data plans:
- 2GB for $10: Up to 2GB of high-speed data, followed by data at reduced speeds up to 128kbps. T-Mobile will waive the $10 service charge for the 2GB plan for the applicants that demonstrate the highest need. T-Mobile will award a limited number of waivers at its sole discretion.
- T‑Mobile ONE Unlimited LTE for $20: Unlimited on-device 4G LTE data.
Video typically streams on T-Mobile device at DVD quality (480p). On all T-Mobile plans, the small fraction of customers using over 50GB/mo. may notice reduced speeds until next bill cycle due to data prioritization. Tethering at max 3G speeds. Sales tax and regulatory fees included in monthly service price.
EmpowerED Service and Support includes:
- Planning, implementation, and deployment support.
- T-Mobile’s Web Guard content filter, which helps prevent access to adult content. Web Guard filters http web page content on our network. Web Guard also allows participants to request that specific websites be blocked. Schools participating in EmpowerED that wish to decrypt and filter https traffic also have the option to purchase a non-T-Mobile proprietary service.
Students and their families will not be required to pay any money for devices and/or wireless service received through this program.
For more information on this program, eligibility requirements, and to apply please visit The EmpowerEd Program Website.
James G. Maleiko